• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Chanting Goshawk - Zimbabwe (1 Viewer)

DeanT

Last time I posted .... it turned out to be Gabar Goshawk.

Is it a Dark Chanting Goshawk this time??

DeanT

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 64
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 31
the extremely dark underwing coverts as well as the very, very long wings are just perfect for Eleonora’s

Made me look at my Lanner shots to double check as I've never seen Eleonora's but as Tom says, wing length in OP is obviously longer and narrower than Lanner and mine are just Lanner unfortunately.

A

Attachments

• Lanner Falcon.jpg
    Lanner Falcon.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Found another photo and changed the contrast because I am excited.

Attachments

• F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 50
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 54
Eleonora’s is a very brave call considering there is nothing genuinely wrong for juv Lanner on these images...and the location of course...

Not only Dean's joy, Tib ;)

So let's have a serious second look at these pictures
occurrence in western Simbabwe end of November is at least not impossible, a bit westerly but Eleonora's arrive at Mozambique channel end of November (including juveniles which might get lost on their first migration)
The big question is if a photoartefact can make the wings look longer and slimmer and the answer could well be yes
I still see a very long hand compared to the arm but all pictures are from the same angle
So Dean, if you have more pics, even blurred or smallish ones from different angles, please show them, fact is that Lanner must be extremely more common overthere and we are not at 100% anymore

These are the only three photos.

I was taking pictures of Swifts (& ended up with 75 photos of blue sky.)

I was standing latitude just North of Limpopo River which is a wide, low lying valley swarming with insects after our first rains.
This Falcon was being chased by a crow. It was big like a Lanner. It got low and fast and flew due East. That's all I can give you. Sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back