Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 7th February 2012, 09:42   #1
bartolli

Wearing glasses and camera focus!

I've worn glasses for many years now, for distance. Up to a year ago I could easily read with them on as well.

Over the last few monbths I have to take my glasses off to read, cos I'm getting old! My close up vision without the glasses is fine.

Knockon effect when I'm taking photos is that I cant focus on the viewfinder, unless I take off my glasses. I've tried the adjustment thing on the viewfinder but that doesnt give enough adjustment.

So, I wear my glasses to see what I'm photographing and have to lift my glasses off to focus with the camera, if the bird moves I have to put my glasses back on, then take them off, etc, pain in the neck!

I'm toying with the idea of bifocals or varifocals, I'm guessing theres no other choice really.

How do others with this problem get by?

I briefly considered getting a pair of glasses with the left lens prescription for distance and the right lens plain glass for looking thro the viewfinder!
Old Tuesday 7th February 2012, 12:05   #2
grumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolli View Post
I've worn glasses for many years now, for distance. Up to a year ago I could easily read with them on as well.

Over the last few monbths I have to take my glasses off to read, cos I'm getting old! My close up vision without the glasses is fine.

Knockon effect when I'm taking photos is that I cant focus on the viewfinder, unless I take off my glasses. I've tried the adjustment thing on the viewfinder but that doesnt give enough adjustment.

So, I wear my glasses to see what I'm photographing and have to lift my glasses off to focus with the camera, if the bird moves I have to put my glasses back on, then take them off, etc, pain in the neck!

I'm toying with the idea of bifocals or varifocals, I'm guessing theres no other choice really.

How do others with this problem get by?

I briefly considered getting a pair of glasses with the left lens prescription for distance and the right lens plain glass for looking thro the viewfinder!
I went to specsavers
Seriously until recently I had excellent eyesight. Now in my 60's I first had to get reading glasses and then distance too.
I got varifocals. They do take some getting used too. You really do need to persevere with them. Much easier than taking reading glasses on and off as I used too.
Specsavers gave me a months trial. Some people can't get on with varifocals but I found that by deliberately wearing them constantly for a full day I got used to them and wouldn't be without them now.
Have a word with your optician.

Hugh
Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 17:23   #3
bartolli

Thanks Hugh,
Do you use also them when using a camera or scope? If so I presume that works ok?
nick
Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 17:46   #4
etudiant

What us geezers with good close up vision need are distance viewing prescription half glasses, cut away below, rather than the usual reading half glasses that leave the eye naked for distance viewing.

However, I've never seen such offered. Wonder why, is it a fashion thing or does it not work for some reason?

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 17:53   #5
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I too use varifocal specs and keep them on when using scope, camera and bins. Try and keep the frame small and fitting close as possible to your face so that you don't need bags of eye relief with the bins and scope.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 17:59   #6
a.dancy
Super Moderator

Bartolli

Depending on your equipment you may be able to get a diopter to fit over your viewfinder. I know canon have them for their DSLRs.

My problem is I now don't have good distance vision and close vision is terrible and I am sick of pulling off my glasses when I want to shoot something, then being blind as a bat looking for a flying bird when it has flown somwhere. Even worse having my glasses steam up in the cold....all very frustrating.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 18:21   #7
grumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolli View Post
Thanks Hugh,
Do you use also them when using a camera or scope? If so I presume that works ok?
nick
Yes scope, camera and bins. I really found I had to persevere with them but am delighted with them.

Hugh
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: