• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (1 Viewer)

I remember that one, Jules. Nice shot.

90/600....nice close up lens...for those too lazy to walk down two flights of stairs and go outside! ;)
13125418193_20e180073c_o.jpg
ISO 400, 1/125 sec.

I remember those too, Tord. Nice thing about Terns is they relatively easy to track.
I haven't had any luck with 5x on moving things, but it is nice on stationary things, esp if the IS stabilizes the image while focusing.

For what it's worth... the IS on the EM-5 worked fine today on the TS102 700mm. It was quite windy, perhaps the amount of vibrations caused this?

E-M1 is off to the shop. Grip rubber is coming off and they are going to give it a check-up for IS and AF problems. Two weeks... oh well.

E-M1 is off to the shop. Grip rubber is coming off and they are going to give it a check-up for IS and AF problems. Two weeks... oh well.
Hmm... AF problems as well? My I ask what lens(es) are you using? Is it the 50-200? I am curious about the E-M1 AF performance on 4/3 lenses and it would be interesting to hear what others have to say.

/Tord

Strange....
Yes strange indeed. Went back to the Crane site early morning with the intention to get some shots with even more detail but the birds were possibly even more remote. I tried with the TS102 + EC14, no way the IS would function with FL set to 1000. At 800mm the IS would work sometimes for a short moment (order of a second), but generally speaking the IS would disengage immediately.

13427985443_16826dd0c7_c.jpg
See (hear) for yourself.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55726445/5D II vs E-30 vs E-M1.mp3
Good light. First Canon 5DII+400/5.6, then E-30 with 50-200ED at 200mm, and then E-M1 also with 50-200ED at 200mm. Simply moved back and forth from point A to B and half pressed the shutter to focus. Single point, large, center.

I have the 50-200 ED (non SWD), the 14-54 II, the 35/3.5 macro and the kit lenses. In really good light they all work ok, but not great, except for the 50-200 on the long end. When the light gets worse, the whole thing is pretty lame. The 50-200 + EC14 is all but useless on the long end.

Last edited:
E-M1 is at the shop. Sent them all the pictures and audio recordings, also of the IS vibrating. Very curious to see if they find anything. At least they will replace the grip rubber that has come loose on the back.

By the way, Tord... are you happy with 500px?

E-M1 is at the shop. Sent them all the pictures and audio recordings, also of the IS vibrating. Very curious to see if they find anything. At least they will replace the grip rubber that has come loose on the back.

By the way, Tord... are you happy with 500px?
Curious to read about what they have to report. Repair/service usually takes 2 weeks from door to door, most of the cameras are sent to the workshop in Portugal.

Yes 500px is a nice site, the level of activity in teh community is high and so the quality of photographs on display. The "rating" system is designed in a different way. If you post pictures that appeal to the community they will quickly be promoted and this will increase chance to get visibility. Good place to find peers.

I am happy with the functionality and with the user support I received as response to some technical queries. There is a free of charge version with limited functionality if you want to try. 500px functions best with modern Web browsers, such as Chrome.

Camera back. Only took one week! :clap:Fixed the rubber and checked it over. No other problems found. They updated the firmware to 1.3. Check these out!
13617902223_62058813c6_o.jpg

13618245084_35778e2434_o.jpg

13617891445_1cc2be857a_o.jpg

E-M1, 50-200+EC14 at 283mm, 1/80 at f4.9, ISO 400. IS-1 on. CAREFULLY hand held with my elbow resting on the windowsill.

The 50-200 seems to be focusing somewhat better, not sure yet. No change in the vibration thing, but I have given up on that anyway.

Dan,

That was fast indeed.

Yes there is a noticeable difference. How should we interpret "with/without AS = 0"? Antishock? What unit does the value have, is it time (delay)? And what does zero value mean?

With the firmware update, if you set the AS to 0, the shutter sequence is changed from close-open-(X)-close-open to blackout electronically-(x)-close-open. (x) = expose. So the first shutter movements, closing and opening for the exposure, are left out. Sort of a semi-electronic shutter. It applies to shutter speeds below 1/320.
I have tested on the scope at 960mm with 1/125 sec:
13620393635_b98558a0d5_b.jpg

13620402615_7e4ec0e07e_b.jpg

The difference is slight, but there. Took 10 each and the average with AS=0 was better.

EDIT: I got it wrong. The setting of 0 sec. is in reality 0.03 sec. The sequence is thus: close-open-0.03sec delay-exposure-close-open. The sensor is blacked out just for the 0.03 second before the exposure begins. They found that the shutter shock vibrations took place within the first 0.03 sec, so with that minimal delay, the exposure doesn't begin until the vibration has stopped. It is not enough to be noticeable while shooting but enough to get around the problem. Very cleaver.

Last edited:
I don't know what they did, or whether it is the firmware update, but my 50-200 is deffinitely focusing better than it was, even with the EC14. All it said on the repair report was "Autofocus-overhaul checked". OK |;|

Hi guys,

Back from Florida with 4000 photos out of which 700 were taken with the scope. Wonderful trip.

Paul, I'm sorry about the EVF problem. Mine has been carried under strong sunlight for 4-8 hours per day for 10 days and the diopter setting is cranked up almost all the way on the + side.

The IS has worked perfectly all the time, behaving just like it does on a normal lens. No noise, no vibrations.

Regards and to Dan, good luck with the EM-1
Jules

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back