Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 18th March 2013, 15:38   #51
Tord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
Thanks, Jules. I see what you mean - a quick scroll through the whole book shows an awful lot of unneccessary stuff to sift through before getting to what's really needed!

Incidentally, as this thread was originally about M4/3rds and 'scopes, I have a Leica 77mm Apo scope with both the 800mm photo adapter and digiscoping kit so I'll be giving them both a try out when I'm familiar with the camera (and when we get some decent weather!). I've never fully used the photo adapter as conventional-sized SLRs were always a bit too large to perch on the end of the lens (I have the angled version of the scope) so the EM-5 may prove better-balanced.
Hi Adey,
Before I "took the plunge" I did some DSLR digiscoping using my E-620 on a Nikon ED82A, a contender to the Leica 77, using a relatively cheap (now discontinued) 7468 adapter from Nikon, turning the scope into a 1000mm F/11.8 lens. The E-620 is lightweight so I managed to get decent balance but focusing through the optical viewfinder was a challenge at F/11.8. When focus was right the results were good, close to the SW80 + 2X TC. I found the angled eyepiece being both a curse (when locating and following a subject not at horizon level) and a blessing (when composing pictures from a low perspective). So I would say the Nikon scope is useful for waders/ducks/grebes/herons...

I will give it a new try with EM-5 (I have one underway), I have a feeling the EVF could be a great asset. I will keep you updated, but it will probably have to wait a month or more, when the migrants are back. (A snowstorm is expected tonight).

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd March 2013, 17:39   #52
Tord

Omd E-m5

My OMD and adapter was delivered the other day.

A very first and short field test tells me it is a very nice camera and capable of delivering great results. I found the EVF and magnification very useful when shooting with the scope.

Something strange happened though when I mounted it on the scope using my adapter ring that has an AF confirm chip. First I took some test pictures with 40-150 Zuiko 4/3 lens. Next I mounted it on the scope. The chip was programmed to deliver F/7.5, 600mm EXIF data. When I took the first Picture I got a black frame and black viewfinder. It took a few seconds for the camera to return to normal operational mode but then the viewfinder showed F2.8, 50mm (default value). I re-programmed the chip with a E620 and repeated the procedure, got same result. The strange thing is that the EXIF data says I am using a 40-150 mm lens... probably the camera has memorized this somehow.

I guess I should remove or tape the AF chip.

My Gallery on 500px

Old Saturday 23rd March 2013, 18:04   #53
cango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tord View Post
The strange thing is that the EXIF data says I am using a 40-150 mm lens... probably the camera has memorized this somehow.
Yes, I noted that myself the other day - that the 40-150mm lens is used, in the exif. (have one too). Don't really care though... :-)
Funny thing is that the 600mm is registered as 1mm lens up to 65500mm lens and some others in between...
Old Monday 25th March 2013, 12:12   #54
Tord

More on the EM-5 subject and AF chip.
Yesterday the camera went crazy. I got mostly black frames, some severely underexposed and a few good ones (regardless of exposure mode). After I started the camera again with a m4/3 lens mounted the problem disappeared.

I guess I need to tape the chip.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Monday 25th March 2013, 12:19   #55
Tord

Another feature I like with the E-M5 is the ability to expose manually, adjusting shutter speed and get the feedback in the EVF. Really useful when photographing contrast rich subjects.

What also would be nice is to program one of the two dials to adjust ISO, as an alternative/complement to adjusting shutter speed. Not sure if this is possible, will have to study the user manual.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Monday 25th March 2013, 15:46   #56
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Another feature I like with the E-M5 is the ability to expose manually, adjusting shutter speed and get the feedback in the EVF. Really useful when photographing contrast rich subjects.

What also would be nice is to program one of the two dials to adjust ISO, as an alternative/complement to adjusting shutter speed. Not sure if this is possible, will have to study the user manual.

/Tord
Hi Tord,

There are many ways to setup the OM-D to change ISO but I don't think you can permanently assign a dial to it. Even if you could, I'm not sure you would want to do it because these 2 dials are used by quite a few functions and it may not be a good idea to change their behavior.

The method I prefer is through the Super Control Panel. Push OK to get it, highlight the ISO box and change the value with the sub dial (the one under the shutter button). After you have done it once, it remembers until you change the highlighted box so you only have to touch OK and change the ISO value with the sub-dial. Quick and easy and you don't have to assign a button to the function.

You will quickly get used to finding the OK button without looking and you will be able to change ISO without taking your eye from the viewfinder.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th March 2013, 09:00   #57
Tord

In the process of getting used to the EM-5 I have found more useful features for digiscoping.

Shooting in M mode while having exposure feedback in the viewfinder/display is really useful. (This is the mode where I would have liked to be able to assign one of the dials to control ISO).

Another nice feature is programming the F2 button for magnification. This feature could be combined with firing the shutter by touching the panel in order to strongly reduce shake blur caused by holding the camera body. The touch function is so sensitive that you do not need to actually touch the display.

My Gallery on 500px

Old Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 22:19   #58
Tord

Underexposed, or totally black frames?

Hi

When using the E-M5 on my scope with fixed aperture I have started to get a strange behavior.

The first frame is usually either totally black or severely underexposed (-3EV or so). If I take additional frames shortly after the first one I get the following:

The second frame is underexposed as well, but not as bad as the first one (I would say about -1.5 EV). Sometimes it is correctly exposed, though.
The third frame and beyond are usually correctly exposed.

For reference: The camera shows the same behavior using both A and M exposure modes. The camera reports F/0.0 and the focal length is empty (I guess that is what happens when no lens information is reported).

Anyone experienced similar behavior?

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Thursday 4th April 2013, 05:51   #59
cango

Quote:

For reference: The camera shows the same behavior using both A and M exposure modes. The camera reports F/0.0 and the focal length is empty (I guess that is what happens when no lens information is reported).

/Tord
In my experience (E-3/E-M5) the camera reports all sorts of F/values and focal lenghts - and I guess it has to do with the adapter/chip one has. But I'm not sure. However, I never had the F value of 0.0. To me with the E-m5, it ranges between f/4.0 and f/6.6. But the only practical issue from this -to me - is that I have to adjust exposure compensation accordingly.

In other words, the behaviuor of the E-M5 is not different than with my E-3 in regard to how it interprets the f value and focal lenghts. The upside with the E-M5 of course is that I see what my changes does in the EVF.

And, no, I have not experienced the underexposed behaviour.
I might wonder if getting rid of the AF-chip alltogether would change this behaviour. (and other)
Old Thursday 4th April 2013, 08:14   #60
Tord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cango View Post
In my experience (E-3/E-M5) the camera reports all sorts of F/values and focal lenghts - and I guess it has to do with the adapter/chip one has.
...// snipped
Hi Carlos,
I forgot to mention that, already before coming across the issue with black/underexposed frames, I had removed the AF confirm chip when using with EM-5 since I believe it was the cause of weird behavior and since it was reprogrammed by the EM-5 camera anyway without me asking for it, it was kind of useless. And the EVF + magnification is a better solution anyway.

I went out for a photo session yesterday evening, using A mode. Out of about 50 frames: 1 slightly underxposed about -0.5 EV, about 20 underexposed about -1.5 EV, 5 severely underexposed -3EV or worse and about 20 black frames. Exposure times were in the range 1/1000 to 1/1600 s which does not make sense. Looking at good results from previous sessions in similar light conditions I was shooting at typically 1/400. So something is wrong, I just don't get what it is. The exposure us OK with a 12-50 lens.

So I was wondering if the F/0.0 could be the source of errors and leading to unpredictable results. (I would have expected the camera to report -.- or "unknown", but not 0.0 which is not possible.)

I updated the FW last night to 1.6, maybe that will help. Will test again today

Do you know if there a way to reset the camera to factory settings?

Out of curiosity - what light measuring are you using? Evaluative, centre weighted, spot?

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Thursday 4th April 2013, 12:00   #61
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Hi Carlos,
I forgot to mention that, already before coming across the issue with black/underexposed frames, I had removed the AF confirm chip when using with EM-5 since I believe it was the cause of weird behavior and since it was reprogrammed by the EM-5 camera anyway without me asking for it, it was kind of useless. And the EVF + magnification is a better solution anyway.

I went out for a photo session yesterday evening, using A mode. Out of about 50 frames: 1 slightly underxposed about -0.5 EV, about 20 underexposed about -1.5 EV, 5 severely underexposed -3EV or worse and about 20 black frames. Exposure times were in the range 1/1000 to 1/1600 s which does not make sense. Looking at good results from previous sessions in similar light conditions I was shooting at typically 1/400. So something is wrong, I just don't get what it is. The exposure us OK with a 12-50 lens.

So I was wondering if the F/0.0 could be the source of errors and leading to unpredictable results. (I would have expected the camera to report -.- or "unknown", but not 0.0 which is not possible.)

I updated the FW last night to 1.6, maybe that will help. Will test again today

Do you know if there a way to reset the camera to factory settings?

Out of curiosity - what light measuring are you using? Evaluative, centre weighted, spot?

/Tord
Hi Tord,

Weird things also happened to me while learning how to use the OM-D. There is so much to learn and try. In all cases, resetting to factory values fixed the problem. Contrary to other cameras, studying the manual in greath depth is mandatory.

To reset to factory value:
Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Reset/Myset > Reset > Full > Push ENTER > Yes > Push Enter
Important: When you see Full, you must push Enter. Do not use the Right Arrow. You won't have a full reset unless you see the Orange color message "Caution Resetting all settings".

You should also adjust the Anti-Shock to make sure shutter shock does not blur your pictures. The recommended value is 1/8 sec. It is mostly dangerous at speeds around 1/125 sec, which you should try to avoid. Set it like this:
menu > Custom Menu E > Anti-shock = 1/8 sec.

Also, if you want to use IS, make sure you set the focal lenght of manual lenses to the one of your scope, including TC, TN or Barlow. Here is how it is done:
  1. Click OK to get the SCP
  2. Highlight the IS box
  3. Click OK
  4. Click INFO
  5. The highlighted number on the right is the Focal Length. If you haven't changed it, it should be 50. Change it with the sub dial, the one under the shutter. You can go up to 1000mm. Select the closest value available.
The OM-D works fine with my scope and I don't have a Dandelion chip. I put it in manual mode and adjust speed/ISO to get a correct exposure. I use ISO values between 800 and 3200 trying to keep speed at at least 1/1000 sec.

Enjoy
Jules

Old Thursday 4th April 2013, 17:47   #62
cango

Quote:

/Tord
I hope starting over (reset) will get you off this f/0.0 and exposure problems you're experiencing. Ihave no clue why that's happening.

I mostly have used Evaluative, but recently have been changing to centre weighted. But I change back and forth ;-) . Mostly I shoot in A-mode and fixed iso. Auto-iso seems to choose as low iso as possible, getting me lower speeds than I would like.
Old Sunday 7th April 2013, 12:53   #63
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Hi

When using the E-M5 on my scope with fixed aperture I have started to get a strange behavior.

The first frame is usually either totally black or severely underexposed (-3EV or so). If I take additional frames shortly after the first one I get the following:

The second frame is underexposed as well, but not as bad as the first one (I would say about -1.5 EV). Sometimes it is correctly exposed, though.
The third frame and beyond are usually correctly exposed.

/Tord
Hi Tord,

Have you solved your problem ? I just saw a post in dPreview where someone described a problem like yours.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3466720

I hope this helps
Jules

Old Sunday 7th April 2013, 21:06   #64
Tord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGobeil View Post
Hi Tord,

Have you solved your problem ? I just saw a post in dPreview where someone described a problem like yours.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3466720

I hope this helps
Jules
Hi Jules

I have updated the FW to latest version, 1.6 and reset the settings without any improvement seen. I still get a lot of black or severely underexposed frames.

Thanks for the link, I will check it.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Sunday 7th April 2013, 21:41   #65
Tord

Jules

From the discussion in that thread it looks like my camera is a lemon.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Monday 8th April 2013, 07:40   #66
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Looks like...
Old Monday 8th April 2013, 10:06   #67
Tord

Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
Looks like...
Hmm... what do you mean? With a "lemon" I was referring to a car found defective after being bought - and I generalized it to apply to cameras in this case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_(automobile)

My Gallery on 500px

Old Monday 8th April 2013, 11:50   #68
Paul Corfield

Where did you buy the camera and is there any guarantee left on it Tord? If this was a faulty batch of cameras then maybe Olympus will fix it for free anyway. Once you start digging on the internet this seems to be quite a common problem on the EM5 with faulty shutters being to blame.

Paul.
Old Monday 8th April 2013, 12:22   #69
Tord

Hi Paul,

There is still guarantee on the camera.

I bought the camera second hand from a private source (UK, but that does not really matter since the guarantee is valid for Europe). The seller has a high level of reliability / great feedback and the camera has been well taken care of.

However I am still in dialog with Olympus support (Sweden) who first claimed that non (micro)four-third lenses are not supported and did not want to address the issue when using the camera with a third part odd lens.

I am now at a stage where I try to convince them that at a mininum they must support OM legacy lenses since they provide an adapter (MF1) that allow to do so, that the issue is about incorrect exposure only - might be a defect shutter. So what I will try to do is to somehow reproduce the issue on a OM Zuiko legacy lens.

From memory I recall the issue with underexposed frames has happened when using on the 12-50 lens that I bought with the camera, but I need to reproduce it. I have hardly used the 12-50 lens, though, so it could take some time. Perhaps it is in conjunction using the camera when using high ISO, aiming for short shutter times?

Thanks,
Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Old Monday 8th April 2013, 12:29   #70
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Jules

From the discussion in that thread it looks like my camera is a lemon.

/Tord
Not a lemon, just a camera with a defective shutter. Problems happen with all makes of cameras - that's what warranties are for.

I wish you luck with Olympus
Jules

Old Monday 8th April 2013, 12:57   #71
Paul Corfield

From what I read online it happens on high shutter speeds, like over 1/1000, so it should be fairly easy to reproduce with a variety of lenses.

Paul.
Old Monday 8th April 2013, 13:37   #72
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

Exactly. We used to call them Monday cars; cars made after a long weekend of partying.
"However I am still in dialog with Olympus support (Sweden) who first claimed that non (micro)four-third lenses are not supported and did not want to address the issue when using the camera with a third part odd lens. " Sounds like they are trying to weasel out of their responsibility. You may be in for a fight.

Last edited by DanC.Licks : Monday 8th April 2013 at 13:40.
Old Monday 8th April 2013, 14:41   #73
Paul Corfield

You would think that seeing as Olympus have had enough of these coming back for repair now with sticky shutters being the eventual outcome that they would just say return it. In every case I've read about, a new shutter or replacement camera has solved the problem.

Paul.
Old Monday 8th April 2013, 14:57   #74
Tord

Yup. I was disappointed (understatement) by the first reply I received. I don't understand how they can treat customers (consumers) in their vulnerable position.

By the way - you write sticky shutter. Shouldn't the picture come out overexposed then? (None of mine have been overexposed).

My Gallery on 500px

Old Monday 8th April 2013, 16:21   #75
Paul Corfield

I presume that the shutter fires but the curtains don't move at the right speed. Usually on a fast shutter speed the 1st curtain moves out of the way and then the 2nd curtain moves into position. The first curtain might not be moving away quick enough.

When my Canon packed up a few weeks ago I was getting some black frames and then the shutter broke completely. That was after about 2 hundred thousand actuations though.

Paul.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: