Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 30th April 2013, 22:40   #1
Spratz

Binos for those wearing glasses ?

My previous set of binos have ended up at the bottom of the sea. Don't ask!

Most of my binos have a hard life and so the replacement budget is no more than USD300.00

A friend has recommended the Minox 8x42 but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by Spratz : Tuesday 30th April 2013 at 22:45.
Old Tuesday 30th April 2013, 23:02   #2
eitanaltman

Can you let us know about some other parameters?

Are you looking for 7x, 8x, or 10x? More compact (e.g. 32mm) or full sized (42mm)? Since you've owned other pairs, what are your priorities, e.g. brightness, size of sweet spot, sharpness, overall field of view, fast focusing vs. slower, etc?

At the "budget" level of 300 USD there are many fine options but each will inherently make their own set of compromises. For example, the popular Nikon Monarch and Eagle Optics Ranger are quite rugged, light and compact for 42mm models, with good brightness and sharp center optics, but have fairly narrow fields of view compared to the competition and don't do well with controlling color fringing (chromatic aberration) compared to some of the recent "China ED" models.

Since you are in London, I would assume you have many options for shops where you can go in and try some models out. The best thing to do is find a pair that "fits" you, so you can decide what you like/dislike and figure out what compromises work best for you.
Old Tuesday 30th April 2013, 23:07   #3
typo

Welcome to the forum.

I see your location is London but are you you planning to buy in the US? There are some attractive priced ex-demo Opticrons on the Sherwoods website. The Countryman HD 8x42 at 205 looks good to me. One of my favourites in their range. They are Japanese made but you should check if the 30 year warranty applies to these purchases.
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/binocula...inoculars.html

David
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: