• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl has dignified bath in sink (1 Viewer)

Yes Little Owl and that bill snapping is a threat / alarm response so it's not happy.

Btw, this thread will be removed as my albino Owl thread was due to it being a captive bird......just sayin......

Andy

Yes a little owl, last october in derbyshire someone found a tawny owl which had drowned in their garden pond, The circumstances around that would of been Interesting to know Indeed but harrowing to have found in their garden in Such a way however I would believe when in the water its feathers quickly became water logged and was unable to free Itself, I can,t remember seeing a owl floating in the water like the one depicted well in any water really to See one outdoors haveing a swim in any water bodie I would not know if its a rare occurence or not, I would think Normally a big owl might bathe on the side of water like smaller birds do when splashing the water through their Plumage, the little owl in the wash bowl seems bouyant enough but I have feeling he,d rather bathe from the edge like most land birds If not all of them with a few exceptions.

Yes Little Owl and that bill snapping is a threat / alarm response so it's not happy.

Btw, this thread will be removed as my albino Owl thread was due to it being a captive bird......just sayin......

Andy

I was thinking that 'yes' it is a captive bird due to some injury it has, it is being looked after. Maybe I am wrong...

I also see it has a tag on its leg

Yes a little owl, last october in derbyshire someone found a tawny owl which had drowned in their garden pond, The circumstances around that would of been Interesting to know Indeed but harrowing to have found in their garden in Such a way however I would believe when in the water its feathers quickly became water logged and was unable to free Itself, I can,t remember seeing a owl floating in the water like the one depicted well in any water really to See one outdoors haveing a swim in any water bodie I would not know if its a rare occurence or not, I would think Normally a big owl might bathe on the side of water like smaller birds do when splashing the water through their Plumage, the little owl in the wash bowl seems bouyant enough but I have feeling he,d rather bathe from the edge like most land birds If not all of them with a few exceptions.

So sad to hear about the Tawny Owl - never thought about Owls washing themselves like garden birds do - I assume that their feathers are watertight like most birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back