• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common, Arctic or Comic tern help - UK Preston July 2017 (1 Viewer)

andrewslack

Can anyone confidently ID this bird (the one standing on its own in one picture, and on the left in another picture). I attach also a definite (I think!) arctic tern and a definite common tern (on the right of the same picture) but this one bird I'm unsure of - it appears quite orangey on the bill and legs - nowhere near as blood red as the few arctics I've seen, however it has no black bill tip. There was another bird the same but I didn't get photos. I've noticed quite a variety in degree of black on the bill of Common Terns, but is this a common tern with a no-black bill (as I suspect) or an Arctic tern with a more orange than usual bill? They were all at Preston Marina on the 12th or 13th of July.

assistance and reasoning appreciated thanks!

Andrew

Attachments

• arctic.jpg
    arctic.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 158
  • unknownleftcommonright1.jpg
    unknownleftcommonright1.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 128
The birds on the ground are both Commons - you're right about the colour. It's also fluffed up in the pics making the legs look shorter than they are. The flying bird is an Arctic

But, why? As it's half-and-half, it ought to be Common / Arctic, = 'Comtic' Tern (or, perhaps, 'Arcmon' Tern) 8-P

Mostly because that's the traditional spelling in county bird reports, websites such as Portland Bird Observatory etc etc

(But they also sound naff)

;)

I was going to put a 'pedants alert' on my original post above, but didn't. Shall we share it, or do you want it all for yourself?

:cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back