Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 3rd June 2006, 17:51   #1
g8ina
He's pining for the Fjords !

Wearing glasses or not ?

I'm now into my third week of my new Opticron TGA 8x42s and loving them. BUT, I have noticed that after an hour or so, my eyes started to water and a headache also started up.

Then I realised that my astigmatism was making my eyes work a lot harder, along with the 2-3 degree angle of relaxed vision between left and right eyes, ie, if I cover one eye, then the other and switch rapidly, the object I'm looking at jumps from top right to bottom left when changing from left to right eye by about 2-3 degrees.

So, I started to wear my glasses, and now everything is SO much more relaxed. I was really surprised at how much a difference prescription glasses can make.

I was just wondering how many people who should wear prescription glasses do or don't when using binoculars ?

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd June 2006, 18:29   #2
AndyC
Bird, What bird, where?

I wear glasses and find I cannot use my bins without them. Strangely enough, I find it easier to use my 'scope without them.

All the gear, no idea.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd June 2006, 18:49   #3
Otto McDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
I wear glasses and find I cannot use my bins without them. Strangely enough, I find it easier to use my 'scope without them.
I wear glasses all the time, i have astigmatism, more pronounced in one eye than the other. However, i really hate using binoculars and glasses in the same time. I quickly lift the glasses on my forehead (i carefully selected a frame that will work with this) before taking the 'nocs to my eyes.
I carefully set the diopter adjustment on the binoculars, and i am sure that i see all there is to see.
Same with the scope.
Old Saturday 3rd June 2006, 19:08   #4
StuartReeves
Local rarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
I wear glasses and find I cannot find my bins without them...

I keep them on all the time with both bins and scope.
Old Saturday 3rd June 2006, 21:13   #5
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

I have some eye problems with porros once in a while, that is why I chose Nikon Action EX tha work with glasses. With roof prisms, I tend not to use glasses. However, if I am reading a field guide already I will use them with glasses as well.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th June 2006, 15:55   #6
kmiernik
8x32, 8x40, 8.5x44

I have eyes with 2 dioptres difference between them. I used to think that wearing glasses and using binoculars is very uncomfortable. So I had my binoculars adjusted and I tried not to wear binoculars at all while birdwatching or I did some "lift your glasses" technique. It was because I had binoculars with 13mm ER. Since I have Nikon EX (17 mm ER) I had no such problemsl. I got used to using glasses and binoculars at same time and I find this very comfortable as I don't loose FOV at all. And I don't have to change things on my head all the time.

Last edited by kmiernik : Sunday 4th June 2006 at 15:57.
Old Sunday 4th June 2006, 16:12   #7
Otto McDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiernik
I have eyes with 2 dioptres difference between them. I used to think that wearing glasses and using binoculars is very uncomfortable. So I had my binoculars adjusted and I tried not to wear binoculars at all while birdwatching or I did some "lift your glasses" technique. It was because I had binoculars with 13mm ER. Since I have Nikon EX (17 mm ER) I had no such problemsl. I got used to using glasses and binoculars at same time and I find this very comfortable as I don't loose FOV at all. And I don't have to change things on my head all the time.
It's not about FOV with me lifting the eyglasses. I think that it's about having a more comfortable hold on the binoculars. Also, when i push the eyecups into my eyesockets i can stabilize the binoculars better.
Old Sunday 4th June 2006, 16:22   #8
steve55
Yellow Hammer

I wear glasses when using my bins (Nikon sporters 8x36) but have problems when using some other people bins as the best position of the eye cups is neither fully up or down but somewhere in between. Occasionally wear contacts with my bins but the eyecups have a habit of falling back down (screw up ones) to the position i use for glasses which can get a little annoying!

Never played with a scope yet that i can use glasses with and not lose any FOV so generally when using scope lift them up or again wear contacts.
Old Sunday 4th June 2006, 16:33   #9
g8ina
He's pining for the Fjords !

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve55
Never played with a scope yet that i can use glasses with and not lose any FOV so generally when using scope lift them up or again wear contacts.
Try Moonfish 2" eyepieces ! Stunning 30mm with 22mm of ER :-

Moonfish Eyepieces

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th June 2006, 18:24   #10
steve55
Yellow Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8ina
Try Moonfish 2" eyepieces ! Stunning 30mm with 22mm of ER :-

Moonfish Eyepieces
Just been watching some house sparrows from my window with my new scope and didnt realise i hadnt removed my glasses, so the above isnt too accurate.

When something works you dont notice it does but when i does not....
Old Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:00   #11
Peter_Perfect

For me if you wear glasses and your astigmatism is bad enough then you must wear glasses with your bino's. For my part my bino spec must include twist up cups, I dislike rubber cups, and good eye relief > 17mm
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: