• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 15x58 ed (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
I recently acquired a pair of these bins. What a brilliant binocular. Nice wide bright image. Clear to the edge and I didnt get any ca. They felt great in the hand with a nice balance.
You would not wear or hold these for long but with a monopod they would be ideal for those occasions when you dont need a scope but when 8x is not enough.

So happy I just found these bins down the binocular homeless shelter.;) Thank you anonymous binoholic bf user.:-O

Ger.

I have the 10x58 ED version which also makes a brilliant astro binocular. Both versions get excellent reviews. Both really are 'alpha' binoculars.

Chris

I agree Chris.The ed has a feel and view of an 'alpha'. All I need now is some cloudless skies to test it at night.

Ger.

Anybody know where I can get eyepiece covers/protectors for these bins. I've looked on the minox site but nothing is showing there.

Cheers,

Ger.

Ger, if you use them for birding i'll be grateful if you tell us your experience. I'm considering the high power, probably Docter Nobilem 15X60.

I will use them for birding and I'll post up my experience. I'm hoping to get out soon but I dont know when that will be. But it could be a few weeks so dont be holding your breath;).

Cheers,

Ger.

I bought a pair of the of the discussed Minox BD 15 x 58 ED BR binoculars in as-new condition from a fellow BF member about 20 months ago at a great price. He bought them from Doug at CameralandNY on sale a year or two previously and just did not use them as often as he thought he would. I primarily use them on a Gitzo monopod with a Manfrotto 3232 swivel head mounted on it. Instead of the supplied "tripod" adaptor, I use either a Meopta or a Vortex adaptor with quick release feature so the bin can be instantly available hand-held instead of taking a minute or two to unscrew the Minox adaptor from the bin or the head and having it dangling.

My primary uses are seabird watching from land, raptor watching from a fixed site, and quite often spending a day watching for California Condor either from "The Sign", the top of Mt. Pinos or several other "listed and unlisted" spots. The additional high quality magnification aids in reading wing ID tags to identify individual birds quickly. They really are a near-Alpha quality glass! Almost always in these various situations they supplement a spotting scope and a 10x binocular but sometimes they stand alone. I also enjoy using them to watch Sea Otter behavior! I find they work very well with both my regular prescription glasses and my prescription sunglasses; but my rx isnt extreme. Your mileage may vary...

Once I found that a 15x binocular fit into my optics arsenal I had anticipated lusting after the Swarovski 15x SLC neu's but I find that the Minox's completely fill my high-power needs. Maybe if I did Condor Survey work or won the lottery? Still then I don't think I would sell off the Minox. They are better than the older pair of 15x Swaro's I borrowed for a day from a hunter friend...since he offered to trade straight across after having my Minox for that same day.

My advice... If you see a pair at a reasonable price (YOU decide what is "reasonable"); grab it. You won't see another. I sure didn't spend anywhere near $900 US but considering what the Vortex Kaibab and the Swaro go for I would now!

Roger (DocSarvis)

Hi Roger, I've been looking at getting a head for my monopod. You reckon the 234 which replaces the 3232 is good for the Minox.

Cheers,

Ger.

Hi Ger...
I'm not familiar with the beast but I just went and checked it out at the Eagle Optics website. It appears to place the quick-release plate 90 degrees out of phase ( if you catch my drift ) as I would prefer to have it and as it is on my Manfrotto 128RC tripod heads. Go to the website and study the pics and have a think on it and you will see what I mean. I'm pretty sure the 3232 swivel head is discontinued but I'm also pretty sure it's still widely available many places. (The BIG auction site, photo stores, Amazon, etc.) Besides...it's usually less than half the price of the quick release monopod head.

I would buy the quick-release monopod head in an instant; price be damned if they had just got the plate orientation done the right way; but Manfrotto blew it...IMHO. Maybe next redesign? By then maybe I'll have gotten a Gitzo carbon fiber monopod instead of the relatively heavy aluminum one I've used for thirty years. Fifty bucks for the QR head is cheap compared to what the Gitzo CF monopods cost!!

The 3232 head works just fine for me...but now that you showed the QR head to me I wish it had been done right.

Roger

I see what you mean Roger on the quick release version. The 234 doesnt have the quick release plate the 234rc does.

To be honest I couldnt envisage how the plate being at the 90 degree angle would make much difference in holding the binocular adapter or is it just personal preference;).

Cheers,

Ger.

Ger...
Thanks for pointing out that there is a NON-QR version. I didn't catch that on the Eagle website. I either overlooked it or they don't carry both.

Besides personal preference, the 90 degree difference means one has to muck about and change the orientation of one's kit on each QR plate when switching between the 128RC tripod head (or any other tripod head compatible with that QR plate) and the 234QR monopod head. That's a pain in the rump as far as I'm concerned. Same as between the 128RC head and the Manfrotto's own 701 series heads. Swarovski's current scope feet fit in the 128 series heads and their own heads but the Zen Ray scope says it also fits Manfrotto heads but only the 701 series as it turns out...AFAIK! 90 degrees out of whack again.

Confusing, eh?

Again...thanks for the tip on the 234 and 234QR.

Best,

Roger

LOLZ!! Semi-quick release?

At least Manfrotto heads take a beating, are modestly priced, and last damned-near forever. My Swarovski DH-101 head cost $350.00, came with only a 1 year warranty and was rendered totally inoperable with one fall to the ground while mounted to a tripod. Swarovski did replace it though it was out of warranty by 6 months. Manfrotto heads have 5 year warranties; Gitzo heads lifetime warranty. Oooops...off topic. Me bad!

I bought a pair of the of the discussed Minox BD 15 x 58 ED BR binoculars in as-new condition from a fellow BF member about 20 months ago at a great price. He bought them from Doug at CameralandNY on sale a year or two previously and just did not use them as often as he thought he would. I primarily use them on a Gitzo monopod with a Manfrotto 3232 swivel head mounted on it. Instead of the supplied "tripod" adaptor, I use either a Meopta or a Vortex adaptor with quick release feature so the bin can be instantly available hand-held instead of taking a minute or two to unscrew the Minox adaptor from the bin or the head and having it dangling.

My primary uses are seabird watching from land, raptor watching from a fixed site, and quite often spending a day watching for California Condor either from "The Sign", the top of Mt. Pinos or several other "listed and unlisted" spots. The additional high quality magnification aids in reading wing ID tags to identify individual birds quickly. They really are a near-Alpha quality glass! Almost always in these various situations they supplement a spotting scope and a 10x binocular but sometimes they stand alone. I also enjoy using them to watch Sea Otter behavior! I find they work very well with both my regular prescription glasses and my prescription sunglasses; but my rx isnt extreme. Your mileage may vary...

Once I found that a 15x binocular fit into my optics arsenal I had anticipated lusting after the Swarovski 15x SLC neu's but I find that the Minox's completely fill my high-power needs. Maybe if I did Condor Survey work or won the lottery? Still then I don't think I would sell off the Minox. They are better than the older pair of 15x Swaro's I borrowed for a day from a hunter friend...since he offered to trade straight across after having my Minox for that same day.

My advice... If you see a pair at a reasonable price (YOU decide what is "reasonable"); grab it. You won't see another. I sure didn't spend anywhere near $900 US but considering what the Vortex Kaibab and the Swaro go for I would now!

Roger (DocSarvis)

Hey Doc,

Thanks for those observations, they do sound useful for your job. Do you work as an ornithologist? I know you can't be a dentist, because you wouldn't be fretting over the price of a Swaro 15x SLC. A root canal and crown costs nearly as much in this price inflated town!

I've had the 15x60 Nobilem on my Bino Wish List for so long that only the 15x60 B/GA has more had longevity.

Which brings me to some questions for you about the Minox ED.

1. Can you see any 3-D effect at a distance with the Minox or dose the image look two dimensional?

One seeming contradiction of high power porros is that despite the shallow parallax, they still seem to show better 3-D effect than roofs.

I have used a 20x80 for terrestrial use and was surprised that even at a long distance, they retain that 3-D effect in looking at the separation between a closer tree line and a more distance one. I don't even see as much 3-D at the same distance with a 10x roof.

Kimmo also said he liked his 15x60 (Zeiss? Docter?) because it showed a 3-D effect at long distances.

2. How effective is the ED glass in the Minox? 15x puts ED glass to the test.

3. The eyecups on the Minox look wide and deep. Not a design that usually fits my eyes/face. How do they fit you? Do you know the eyecups dimensions?

4. Jerry had a pair of Minox EDs, and he said that the edge sharpness was very good. Do you agree?

Have you seen this comparison btwn the 15x Minox and 15x Swaro?

BIG EYES: Seeing Is Believing

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/big_eyes.html

Brock, BA (some people say it's actually BS :)

Hey Doc,

I've had the 15x60 Nobilem on my Bino Wish List for so long that only the 15x60 B/GA has more had longevity.

1. Can you see any 3-D effect at a distance with the Minox or dose the image look two dimensional?
d a 3-D effect at long distances.

[End of QUOTE]

>>>I would recommend a dose of 3-D myself. Just what the Docter 15x60 Nobilem ordered.;)<<<<<

Hey Doc,

d a 3-D effect at long distances.

[End of QUOTE]

>>>I would recommend a dose of 3-D myself. Just what the Docter 15x60 Nobilem ordered.;)<<<<<

Finally, a funny one liner! Well, two liner. :t:

The Uncle Toonose Meritorious Committee, hereby awards you, E pluribus unum, the prestigious and, of course, meritorious Henny Youngman Post-Mortem Award.

Please go to this link to collect your No-Prize (please add $16 for S & H).

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1010686

Uncle Toonose's Nephew

Having ordered a Nikon ED82A, I'm not in the position to buy more optics for quite a while.
But I have seen a Minox 15x58 ED priced €450 in the Netherlands.
In fact, Doug's offering was a smashing bargain but those days are gone, as we all know.
It would be great to look through this beauty, but I'm more into the 10x58.

//L

I recently acquired a pair of these bins. What a brilliant binocular. Nice wide bright image. Clear to the edge and I didnt get any ca. They felt great in the hand with a nice balance.
You would not wear or hold these for long but with a monopod they would be ideal for those occasions when you dont need a scope but when 8x is not enough.

So happy I just found these bins down the binocular homeless shelter.;) Thank you anonymous binoholic bf user.:-O

Ger.

Hi Guys, if you want to use "google translate" i've published a small comparative on binomania.it: Minox 15x58ED vs Zeiss 15x60
it's here http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/minox15x58vszeiss15x60/minox15x58ED_vs_zeiss_classic_15x60.php
Have a nice week end!
Best regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Thanks for that. My google translate gave me the jist of the report.

I havent had a chance to give the minox a good test as I've been up to my eyeballs with study and my body trying to kill me.o:D I went to look at the large moon during the week but it was covered by cloud.:-C I'm hoping to get out to the coast maybe next week so hopefully I'll be able to give them a good test then.

Thats interesting about the two eyes at 15x showing the same as 25x mono eyepiece. one thing I did notice whilst handling them was how easily the diopter moved next to the focus wheel. But it was just as easy to put it back to where it was. I'll write up how I get on when I get out to the great outdoors with the minox.

Nice report,

Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back