• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D EM-1 (2 Viewers)

I had E-1 then E-3 but never went to E-5 was waiting for E-7 but I am happy with the quality I am getting with the EM-1 though focus can be a pain. It will take 5 or 6 shots perfectly then wander of for 3-4 seconds as it hunts for a focus point

Your focusing troubles should end when the highly-anticipated 300mm f4 lens gets released next year. Any news of price and specs?

Your focusing troubles should end when the highly-anticipated 300mm f4 lens gets released next year. Any news of price and specs?

i think it will make a great companions to the OM bodies. i am looking forward to it, as right now even with the slow Zuiko 75-300mm the results with the OM D 10 are nice.

hope it will not be as expensive as the 300mm 4/3 one.

I had E-1 then E-3 but never went to E-5 was waiting for E-7 but I am happy with the quality I am getting with the EM-1 though focus can be a pain. It will take 5 or 6 shots perfectly then wander of for 3-4 seconds as it hunts for a focus point

the E5 is superb, i still find the IQ i get form it much better than those of the EPL5, OMD 10, and the OM D5.

it would be a shame not to have a successor to it.

but then the lenses available are so expensive for most armatures. yes excellent but not affordable.

hope they make a new 70-300mm with better focus.

Just to let you know that I am still enjoying using my E-M1 with the 75-300 II zoom. I only have to pick up my E-30 with the 50-200 SWD and EC-14 attached to remind myself why I use M4/3 gear almost exclusively these days.

Attached are four shots of a Marsh Tit and Nuthatch taken recently in the woods at Strumpshaw Fen. The lens is far from perfect but I think it does a pretty good job for its size and cost.

Ron

Attachments

• Birds on stump 1 small.jpg
    Birds on stump 1 small.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 277
  • Birds on stump 4 small.jpg
    Birds on stump 4 small.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Birds on stump 2 small.jpg
    Birds on stump 2 small.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Birds on stump 3 small.jpg
    Birds on stump 3 small.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 248
No not to my knowledge 40-150mm f2.8 is due later this year I believe and around £1000 it is rumoured but the 300mm will give me a real dilemma as I already have the 4/3 300mm and that is a superb piece of glass

No not to my knowledge 40-150mm f2.8 is due later this year I believe and around £1000 it is rumoured but the 300mm will give me a real dilemma as I already have the 4/3 300mm and that is a superb piece of glass

i hope the m4/3 one will be like it, because as you said its a real fabulous lens. but also affordable price.

Just to let you know that I am still enjoying using my E-M1 with the 75-300 II zoom. I only have to pick up my E-30 with the 50-200 SWD and EC-14 attached to remind myself why I use M4/3 gear almost exclusively these days.

Attached are four shots of a Marsh Tit and Nuthatch taken recently in the woods at Strumpshaw Fen. The lens is far from perfect but I think it does a pretty good job for its size and cost.

Ron

Ron the results your getting are so amazing.

i am using it now with the new OM D10, lots of shots but really not much time to brows them. the digital VF is nice but not as comfortable as the real VF in any DSLR. got some shots at ISO 1000, looked good when applying noise reduction, but i don't think form now on i will have to go to higher ISO values than this.
focusing is really super, but still when i am hiding behind some leaves and shrubs i have to aid the focus manually.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/14067246774/in/photostream/

This might be of interest to any owners of the E-M1. Olympus have just released another new firmware update (version 1.4) which is meant to improve AF response when using four thirds lenses. It is also claimed to improve stabilization in C-AF mode and add some extra features when using remote control via a smart phone. I have updated my camera successfully but haven't tried it properly yet.

Ron

Hi all, I have been seriously considering jumping ship with all my canon gear and have tried Em1 in store with the 14-40 2.8 and was pleasantly surprised with the EM1. I currently use the 7D with a sigma 500 4.5 prime for birds in BIF. I have read all the comments in this EM1 thread, and the frustrations of BIF. So my question is would It be worth my while to change? I shooting subjects are mainly, birds dragonflies butterflies and fungi. All with the canon as above but also with 650D a 300L is + 100L is + 24-105L And numerous flashes. my main problem is WEIGHT not mine but the gear I have now realised at 67 years young I am beginning to struggle so this is my main problem. also with the arrival of the new Olympus 150 2.8 and hopefully the 300F4 thing can only get better for Olympus users. What advice could olympus user offer me? Would you swap completely or keep a foot in both camps????

Just in time for my new body!
Firmware upgrade as ever, quick and easy.
Now to see how it handles my 4/3 slr lenses....
Suffering from the usual new camera problem - overcast and wet - does the sun ever shine when you want to try something out for the first time in optimal conditions? At least its showerproof!
Now to register for the free battery grip.

K P encouraging article having the same outfit

:t::t::t:
I've been using the EM-1 and the Olympus 75-300 II lens for just over a week.

It's a fabulous camera to use once you get it set up the way you want it. The viewfinder, in particular, is a joy to use, and there are lots of customisable buttons to which you can assign your favourite functions. The buffer clears very quickly, even after a burst of raw files.

However, the feature that really sold me on this camera was the improved focus tracking, and I have to say that from that point of view I have been disappointed. I usually end up just using single focus and hoping for the best.

Attached are a few pictures from today. The light was poor, which didn't help. The tufted duck was at ISO 640, the cormorant was at ISO 800 and the rest were at ISO 1600.

I'll persevere for a while to try and improve my BIF keeper rate, but for me at the moment, the jury is still out on this camera, especially given its hefty price tag.

Malcolm

Hi, just caught this thread. I have had the EM1 for a while now and love it. I use the 75-300mm alot with varying results. Can I ask what your settings were for the photos, ie ISO, aperture etc. Thank you

Hi, just caught this thread. I have had the EM1 for a while now and love it. I use the 75-300mm alot with varying results. Can I ask what your settings were for the photos, ie ISO, aperture etc. Thank you

I included details of the ISO used on those shots in my post. As they were taken in 2013, I can't remember the other settings, but as a rule I nearly always used the 75-300 wide open, although I would sometimes stop it down to f8 if the light was good enough.

Since that post, I have actually gone back to using a DSLR for bird photography. Like you, I had "varying results" with the 75-300, especially with birds in flight. I was going to hang on for the release of the 300f4, but given the delays and the expected hefty price tag, I decided to make the switch.

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back