• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jenoptem 8x30 serial numbers (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Hi, I have a rather beautiful pair of genuine East German Jenoptem 8x30. I just bought a case to go with them on the 'bay (the original flap-cover type in mahogany leather with red velvet lining). I know there was discussion on here years ago about Zeiss serial numbers, and a link to a P. Abrahams site with a serial number guide, but I can't access it anymore. Has anyone any idea how I could find the production year of my binos, serial number 4579710?

Sincerest thanks for that, Joachim! Incredible that these binos were made when I was fourteen...they've aged considerably better than I! In fact they are 'as new', and although the sweet spot is small, a bit flary, and 'light transmission' not as high as modern binos, they are wonderfully 'contrasty' and sharp in the centre. They're perfectly useable binos, and very cute to hold, almost as small as Swaro Habicht. I think later-issue Jenoptems had 'Multicoated' printed on the right-hand housing plate. Mine doesn't. But they have all the other features of DDR Jenoptems - 'DDR' in small letters on the central hinge screw cover, 7-digit serial no., housing screws level with 'corner' of white-printed rectangles on plates, no groove to front of focusser. What I'm going to do with them, I've no idea. Probably end up giving them away.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back