• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need bird ID in Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

amy4hsales

There are a lot of these small backyard birds where I live in Taif, western Saudi Arabia, in the mountains at about 3000 feet elevation and about 100 kilometers from the Red Sea. I have attached a photo of this bird, I would love to know what it is since there are so many of them and they wake me up every morning with their loud song.

quick description - size of a robin, black head and black thin beak, cream belly, grey wings, striking cream colored eye rings, a black tail with yellow underneath.

Attachments

• saudibird2.jpg
    saudibird2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 232
Just to be redundant. As identified already. Unmistakeable in it's range for it's totally black head and very conspicuous white periocular ring.

Just to clarify. All of the major lists now call this White-spectacled Bulbul. I should have made the exception but I didn't think to as I know that this is also a synonym used for this bird. This from John Pennhallurick's great site "Bird Data Project"

English Synonyms:

Dark-capped Bulbul
Black-capped Bulbul
White-eyed Bulbul
Yellow-vented Bulbul

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back