• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andy's field sketches (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the comments vectis. I am ashamed to say I never developed my
art knowing what John Busby thought so havent had the presure as it were
of feeling that I should learn to sketch and draw birds a certain way.
I have just developed in my own way using my own path.
Although I still think drawing from the field is an esential way of learning
about your subject. especialy about the way they move and their
character.
And like you I actually like my Photography too, I'm just no good at it!:t:

I have much the same problem. I find it hard sometimes (most of the time, actually) to get the detail I want and often I get loose drawings that are often more 'shapes' than anything.
I sometimes draw from photos, although I have to be careful so the drawings don't appear too wooden. Having said that, I prefer sketching in the field as there is that sense of accomplishment when you get a page full of bids you have observed yourself, in the flesh.

I do photography as well as sketching and I love photography and as well as my 'good' photos I also get 'record' shots for reference.

I am pleased that an artist can endorse using photos and not be of the John Busby way of thinking that drawing from photos, even for practice, is a no-no.

Thanks for the comments vectis. I am ashamed to say I never developed my
art knowing what John Busby thought so havent had the presure as it were
of feeling that I should learn to sketch and draw birds a certain way.

I'm not sure what you should be ashamed about. You have followed your own path, and that's as it should be. The only way that is 'right' is the way that works for you and what you are happy with.

Tiercel encounter.

Just a brief post really as the full version is on the blog. On Friday I took
my son Joe to watch the Peregrines at plymbridge http://www.plym-peregrines.co.uk,well it was a good
visit . the weather was awful but at one point the tiercel came over our heads about 150ft up and stooped right at us, or so I thought but then went streaking past. these are the drawings i did of the encounter and some of Joe's

Attachments

• _plymbridge-peregrin.jpg
    _plymbridge-peregrin.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 105
  • my-drawings-plymbridge-pere.jpg
    my-drawings-plymbridge-pere.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 108
  • joes-drawings1.jpg
    joes-drawings1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 88
Fabulous account on the blog Andy. Many years ago I was at a falconry display when a tiercel named Henry came to the lure so close to my head that I swear his wingtip grazed my ear! That experience is still clear in my mind ?? years down the line. I met the guy a few years after that and asked after Henry. He told me that Henry had been killed when he was attacked by a swarm of bees whilst on his block!

I agree it's great to see your son taking an active interest. My daughter occasionally asks to come birding/sketching with me and will also paint or draw what she sees. She's 12 now and birdwatching is definately 'not cool' but I'm sure she'll come back to it in some way in the future and I'm pleased that I've been able to 'plant the seed' for that.

Mike

Don't know how you manage to get so many peregrines in such fine pose on the same page, an encounter like that for me would leave a wingtip in the sketchbook. Good to see Joe's keeping up the drawing, lovely attention to getting the details right.

I Have missed everyone!!

Hi guy's, As you've probably noticed been REAL!!!!! Busy so have not posted
in ages. Any way won't bore you with why but thought I'd put on some
images done recently.

First is a Golden Plover piece thats got a little more of a loose approach
than I usually adopt.

The other and sorry yet another Peregrine, But you have to realize I have
a problem or condition if you like, called terminal Peregrinitis
and I can't seem to cure it and nor can anyone else!!

This is the Female from our local nest site at Cann quarry.
Unfortunatly they failed to rear any young this year and have abandoned
the nest:-C

Lets hope they do ok next season. On a brighter note peregrines doing well
at the other sites I know of:t:

Anyone enter Birds in Art this year, Sadly I didn't get in this year but not to
worry onwards and upwards as they say. Who are "they" by the way? :-O
any how enough woffle
here are the images

Attachments

• golden-plover-email.jpg
    golden-plover-email.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 101
  • The-Falcon-of-Cann-Quarry.jpg
    The-Falcon-of-Cann-Quarry.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 97
I almost fell down from my chair when I opened up the one of the golden plovers! That is so... I'm lost for words, really. That's just too beautiful. The peregrine is stunning (almost thought it's a photo first), and I don't think anyone is complaining for having one more. It's a species one can never get tired of.

Just realised I haven't visited your blog yet. Hooray, more great paintings to look at!

Last edited:
yes a big thumbs up for the goldies, it burns my eyes in the best possible way. The peregrine is another fine piece with a wonderfully different 'top-heavy' composition that gives the impression of the bird tucked right into the cliffs.

House Martins Movin in ?

Hi everyone , I've been feeling real down about the fact i have not done any
field sketching in a long while , been chained to the studio and
you can get sucked into a rut of painting at the easle to long!

Well that changed today when through the open skylight windows I heard
the chatter of house Martins , Now I've wanted House Martins to nest nearby
for a long while I've got such fond memories of them nesting in my
old Junior school. Also inthe village where I grew up they seemed to nest
on almost every building in the old part anyway.

So I was thrilled today when one pair seemed to repeatedly make passes
up and down the back of our and the neighbours houses. They kept landing
just under the faicia boards and genuinely seemed to be scoping the place
out. Is this real late though for House Martins to be nesting?? Although I
seem to remember being told that they will nest a few times in the breeding season.

Well I do hope they are going to move in. I did some Sketches of thier
activities , and I hope you like them it certainly lifted my day and
got me sketching albeit from the back garden!

Attachments

• house-martins001email.jpg
    house-martins001email.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 70
  • house-martins002email.jpg
    house-martins002email.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74
  • house-martins003email.jpg
    house-martins003email.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 79
Absolutely wonderful, filled with life and character. There's nothing like sketching from life is there. I too would love to have martins or swallows near to me, I have to make do with following the progress of the pairs in the toilets at the elmley reserve!

Mike

I think your drawings answer you own question, Andrew. Absolutely perfect studies of prospecting martins - maybe not for this year . . . . . !
I'm constantly enthralled by your ability to 'get the birds right' - utterley brilliant.

hope they do stick around and nest for you, they've only just really started here, cigarette break at work is enlivened enormously by watching them gather mud at a puddle. (And is a good excuse to use when the kids ask me where I went during breaktime!)

I was watching a flock of sand & house martins, and barn swallows flying at the seashore today. They're such swift creatures, I'm in awe when looking at these scetches! They're so...right!

They have not returned

:-Cthe House Martins have not been back since. A few over the house
but no birds checking for nest sites. Its made me think though that
Can you buy ready made Nest boxes for House Martins?? I thought I had seen
some advertised somewhere. If so can anyone point me in the right direction.
Would love to put some up with hopes of them returning next year and using
them.
For now Its just enjoy them winging around whilst they are with us.

Attachments

• House-martin.jpg
    House-martin.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 64
Shame. It is a bit late for this year though. The RSPB give this advice: http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/attracthousemartins/index.asp
So you'd have time to organise something for next year.

I was watching house martins collecting mud earlier this year, it's a reliable site for them and if you can get the timing right they're wonderful to watch and actually quite confiding. Mind you, they soon disappeared when my first hobby of the year came shooting through!

Mike

First time ive gone through your 'thread', love the sketches, looks like ive a long way to go yet, Im glad that youve made reference to using photos, as this will be the only way i can practice getting the body shapes .........

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back