• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

A seawatch at Holme for about an hour and a half on a flat calm day produced:

4 Manx Shearwater (3 heading into The Wash)
1 Pom Skua
1 Bonxie
10+ Arctic Skua
3 Black Tern
4 Red-throated Diver
50+ Gannet
30 Pinkfeet (flyover)
and a Hobby over the marsh

Titchwell was magnificent with

6 Curlew Sandpiper
1 Little Stint
70 Pinkfeet (fly over)
10+ White wagtail
4 Yellow Wagtail
300+ Golden Plover with an interesting white-headed one!

Sue

OLiver. As I am moving to Norfolk in a month I would be very interested in these module that you did at uni- UEA wasn't it. You say on bird identification. Have you got more details? Was it all ID or theory of ID, skin examination, field trips etc. I have been looking at Birmingham but their ornithology expet has retired( I think)

Well there was no sign of the Fea's off Mundesley up to 7:47pm (!) when a mate and I jacked it in because we could no longer see the GBB Gull that was sitting on the outfall buoy... 8-P

James

OLiver. As I am moving to Norfolk in a month I would be very interested in these module that you did at uni- UEA wasn't it. You say on bird identification. Have you got more details? Was it all ID or theory of ID, skin examination, field trips etc. I have been looking at Birmingham but their ornithology expet has retired( I think)

I did most of it on my Biology dissertation on bird migration.
There is also an ecology society at UEA who often go out around the area I believe.
The ENV department changed their modules before my final year so whether these modules still exist in the form I took them then I am not sure but worth a look.

re. early Little Auks.
1 on Helgoland on the 13th + i seem to remember a North east based birder posting on BF last year about how he ( + most of us on here, including myself) always rubbished September reports, until he actually saw one !

Wow big birds off Suffolk. Did the Point this afternoon. Still lots of seabird passage constant stream of Gannets, 1 Sooty, 10 Manx, 8 Bonxie, 6 Arctic Skua inc coupla nice juvs on the beach.

in the bushes, 1 male Redstart and 5 Wheatear, the afternoon 'fall' consisted of one totally knackered Spotted Fly perching on driftwood and landing on the shingle

Searching for Passerines

Started the day at Gramborough Hill - 8.50am

Beautiful morning, but chilly. A stonechat perched on the brambles, but nothing else skulking in here.

Kingfisher in North Drain, as we left along Beach Road. Also kestrel, linnets, goldfinches.

Walsey Hills NOA - 9.43am

3 rats by feeders and a few hedge sparrows. Of note were 32 Pink footed Geese flying south east. Along the centre track a good number of birds including male and female blackcaps, chaffinches, common whitethroat, chiffchaffs, a single goldcrest and a few robins.

Trimmingham - Scout Hut - 1pm and Cliff top Wood

Parked by the church and walked past the hut on the left side and up the cliff edge. Sadly nothing at all apart from 1 Chiffchaff, blackbird, wren, robin.

Beeston Bump - 4.15pm

Nothing here apart from a couple of blackbirds feeding on blackberries and a few hedge sparrows sitting in the hedge.

Walsey Hills NOA- 5.45pm

Several chiffchaffs and chaffinches, less birds in here overall than our visit this morning.

MEGA - Fea's Petrel!!!!!!

Flew north from North Denes at 6pm!!!!!! Thanks to MAG and John F. for letting us know!

Cley Coastguards - with other birders and Wil from RBA who scorched into the carpark, with the smell of burning brakes!!! - we waited in anticipation for this Mega Bird, but sadly this was not to be. 7 bonxies were seen going east and good numbers of common scoter passing through.

Penny:girl:

Going past on a sea-watch near you ? (A ‘saur point.)

We can live in hope- that’s more than one can say for the dinosaurs !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14933298

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8498142.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8481448.stm

This last week has been a series of intense pelagic frustrations. Let’s hope things pick up later today. I hope I have now not made a dino-rod for my own back. Wotta super looking beast !

Much, much worse, now: as I read my (muted) pager, to see 'Fea's past Sheringham at 0653h'.

Attachments

• Anchiornis huxleyi.jpg
    Anchiornis huxleyi.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Making a big mistake- having gone to sleep after midnight (4 hours later than my usual time)- drinking tea, gradually waking up, then going down to the shelter and, brilliantly, managing not to see a Balearic.

Satisfied ?

Live updates from Cley on my blog now.

Fea's Petrel seen at 6.53am by Kevin Shepherd - seen quite distantly and flying slowly. I presume others saw it too but don't know who.

Penny

Sandhill Crane in Lothian...cue "Twitching-A very British obsession" scenes!

Also, Cory's off the East Anglian coast this morning! What are the chances!?.....:egghead:

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way.....

Just saying that there is clearly some activity off and around our coastline!
If there had been no more reports of Cory's in the southern North sea for another week then surely would be far more unlikely?
Whatever the case its good that people are picking up this species off our coast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back