• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching mag's review of web bird alerts (1 Viewer)

Wine Man

Did anyone else notice this review in the Jan 2004 issue? Great to see a screen shot of our beloved Birdforum up there (pg 92), even though birdforum doesn't have a bird alert service it's still shows how influential this site is to be illustated in the review. To quote from the review ' you would do much better visiting a site like www.birdforum .net'
The Focalpoint/Birdcall service came across as fairly poor and swarovski did not seem to inspire the magazine.

Merry Xmas to all my fellow birdforum members
Wine Man

Well said Wine Man. As you say, considering the article was about 'bird sightings services' which we're not, we did very well indeed to get such a recommendation and a screen shot included.

Don't forget the full page advert for our digiscoping weekend on p.14 too :t:

I'm not surprised birdcall got a pasting, always seems like a part-time service from those I know that have used them. In fact I don't know anyone who still uses their service, most have progressed to the more reliable mainstream companies such as Birdguides.

Good to see birdforum in the review. It is getting to the point where birds+internet= birdforum, being the logical place to go if you want to talk and read about birds.
Sandy

Hello Sandy,
Out of the sites reviewed, only RBA came out with much credit. It was interesting that birdguides impressed less than RBA to the reviewer. Focalpoint/Birdcall do not seem to be very popular with many birders that I know, although I haven't used them myself. Birdnet and RBA seem the most popular to the serious birders.
Wine Man

Sandy Martin said:
I'm not surprised birdcall got a pasting, always seems like a part-time service from those I know that have used them. In fact I don't know anyone who still uses their service, most have progressed to the more reliable mainstream companies such as Birdguides.

Good to see birdforum in the review. It is getting to the point where birds+internet= birdforum, being the logical place to go if you want to talk and read about birds.
Sandy

I subscribe to RBA website and find it very good indeed.I consider it good value for the subscription I pay. The staff are also most helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back