• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info needed for Scotland trip (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi all

Just starting to plan a 5 day trip to Scotland at tail end of April/beg May and am looking for some advice on particular species. Have done Scotland a few times before but there are a couple of species I always struggle with so some additional help would be appreciated.
Said species are Golden Eagle and White Tailed Eagle. Findhorn always used to be advertised as the site for Golden but I have never scored there - any other reilable ones? And I know Gruinard Bay or Skye are supposed to be White Tailed Eagle sites but again any further details.
Also where's the best place for Black Guillemot up there?
And finally I seem to remember there being a regular feeding site for Pine Martin that used to come for bread and jam???? Directions please.

Thanks

Thirded!

Black guillies are in any of the west coast ports, should be easy!

Lovely time of year, should be before the midges are out, look out for breeding plumage divers too!

I'm not sure where the martins are... Bill Oddie covered them in one of his programmes, but I think that was up near Aviemore.... I lived in an area where pine martins were for 5 years, working in the countryside... and saw them twice! Otters are easier... try Mallaig harbour, but quiet stetches of coast on Mull if your lucky!

Or don't - we spent a very long and boring evening there last year for the price of £18 each and saw a Badger and a mouse.....it was a full moon and the martens don't appear 'til much, much later in the night (c1-200am) so no chance. Would've been nice to've been told this when booking as it's not a mystery when the full moon is. Their success rate is about 3 in 7 we were told. At least the hide has heating and a carpet!

One strategy that may pay off would be to stay on Ardnamurchan to do night drives for Pine Marten. One or two day trips onto Mull should get you both Eagles. I've always found White-tailed to be the easier of the two, with regular stops along the A849 through Glem More often netting both species, with the caveat that my handfull of trips up there represents but a small sample size, and there is doubtless more reliable gen out there. In addition, as you seem interested in seeing mammals too, it's worth looking out for hibernicus race Mountain Hares on Mull (I've seen them in fields around Fidden, just south of Fionnphort, but again, I'd guess they can be found elsewhere). These are introduced, and a potential split from those you may have seen in the Highlands. (Yup, that's right, a potential split Hare! Groan!)

Best of luck, whatever you end up deciding to do.

James

I lived near Oban for nearly twenty years. I have seen Black Guillemots sunbathing on the pavement at Oban bay. Mull is the place for both Eagles. Glen More for Golden and Grasspoint for White-Tailed.

Spent a long weekend on Mull at the end of April 2008. Couldn't turn the corner without seeing both goldies (highest density in Europe I believe) and WTE's - several times both species in the air at the same time. Also, there is the RSPB WTE viewing site at Loch Frisa.

Having said that the owner of the B&B we were staying in in Tobermory said he had a visitor for the previous 3 years who'd never managed to see an eagle of any description!

Also, friends of ours were on the island at the same time and although they did see both species not as often/many as we did. On the other hand they saw plenty of divers whilst we only had a brief view of a winter plumage BT Diver.

But, I'd say that Mull is as good a bet as any for seeing both species of eagles - and B Guillemots are certain somewhere along the way on the journey there.

cheers
Gordon

Unlike Birdieboy I had a great night watching pine marten near Aviemoor, though does cost, seen reguarly on and off from 10-15 to 1 am.
White tailed sea eagles are sure from Portree on Skye again it will cost [ boat trip ] but great views, though I think these don't start till June, black guillemot are also seen in and around Portree.
Skye is also good for golden eagles particuarly in the central and northern regions of the island.
Seems like you have a choice to make but for sure head for the west coast.
Mike

Only been to the Speyside Wildlife hide once (it wasn't a full moon - I didn't even realise it mattered) & we were visited by 3 lots of martins (including a mother & juvvy) plus a Red Deer & a badger which made an embarrassing attempt to climb a tree before getting stuck. This was August (not sure if it matters) & the Midges were hell.

Both eagles were easy enough on Mull, just wandering around without specifically looking for them, but we stayed for a week – if you’ve got limited time I reckon you’d have to target certain areas, and I wouldn’t know where they were. As mentioned, there’s always the RSPB WTE nestwatch thing, but I guess you may be a tad early for that.

I’ve heard good reports from several people about the trips for Sea Eagle from Skye aboard the Queen Bee/Bea (not sure of spelling) so that’s got to be worth a Google.

Yeah the time of year I think helps - mid-summer seems to be more successful for the martens as the young are out and about. We were there mid-April. Re the eagles, we had Goldie along the west coast but didn't see WT on the mainland - talking to a couple of locals up there they said the mainland pairs were having a tough time breeding at present. We used to see them regularly near Big Sands, flying to and from Longa Island.

Hi all
. . . And finally I seem to remember there being a regular feeding site for Pine Martin that used to come for bread and jam???? Directions please.

Thanks

I've also heard of the "bread and jam" feeding of Pine Martens, and the location for that was/is Balmacara, just a few miles before Kyle of Lochalsh, Ross-shire.

Also for Pine Martens, you might like to check out this site >

http://www.thewebbroadcastingcorporation.com/swt/swt.php

The webcam sometimes shows live pictures at night and Pine Martens are fairly frequent visitors. The centre even have "Pine Marten Evenings" and the dates are on that webpage ~ or you can phone the centre on the number which is also shown on the webpage.

Hi Allen

Agreed on Mull being the easiest place both species of Eagle. Any coastal spot should get you Black Guillemot but Oban harbour is excellent. With regards to Pine Marten the Morvern peninsular is a good place to stay overnight. Ask the B&B folk if they see Pine Martens, most of them will, and get them to prime the table with strawberry jam sarnies a few nights in advance of your arrival just to help thigs along. You should get Otter along the shore or even at the head of Loch Sunart (I saw three here on a rare trip off Island). The Lochaline-Fishnish ferry is cheaper and quicker than the Oban ferry and not too far from the RSPB WT Eagle site which will be operational as the birds will be sitting when you arrive. RSPB site will also give you Golden Eagle, Hen Harrier, SE Owl, RT Diver etc.

Hope that helps

Eagles:
I visited Mull last summer - Aug for a week with the family and had fantastic views of WT Eagle all over the island. The 1st over Tobermory from the harbour. Also had great close views of Basking Shark from boat trip from Tobermory. Goldies were harder but also had a few. Black guilli again from Oban Harbour. There is a road that cuts through the middle where you can park in a passing place that looks back towards the RSPB HIDE. We had 2 juv WT Eagles there almost every day after finding them. Also hen harrier here. Also otters relatively easy around Mull. We had 3 or 4 that week.

Pine Marten
I am going up 11-18 April and planning on going on the PMarten evening at Speyside. I have been once before and did not see one, quite a few badgers though. I will update when I return. Watch this space.

Last edited:
Alen,

I'm off to Arndamurchan tomorrow for a week, will probably day-trip Mull for WTE at some point: report will be on John's Mammals 2009 in Lists, or you can ring me and buy me a pint.

Cheers

John

Scotland update

Hi

Just back from a very sucessful weekend in speyside.

Findhorn didn't fail to disappoint. I have been up there about half a dozen times and never seen an eagle. Dipper almost guaranteed though. To be fair on this visit the weather was not great and I know people who have regularly seen Golden Eagle along there. It must just be me!

Anyway on Sat we done a circular drive from Inverness towards Ullapool, taking the A835 then the A832 towards Gairloch and then back to Inverness via the A832 we had 6 Golden Eagle (3 pairs) on the first stretch up along the A832 and an adult WT Eagle on the way back to Inverness from the view point at at Kinlochewe along the A832.

Plenty of Black Guilli all along the west coast - 2 in Gairlcoch harbour.

We are definitely doing Mull now for a few days and staying on so does anyone have any particular areas to check for both eagle sp.

Hi Allen

Here's a link to the Mull Opus article, where there's several map links.

Grass Point at Loch Don is a good place for the Sea Eagle and Glen More for Goldies. Others may give you more ideas too.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back