• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To drill or not to drill... (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
...that is the question.

I've made a small bracket which screws into the socket on the tripod ring of my Sigma 180 macro.

The bracket allows me to attach the camera to either of the two straps I use and to attach a monopod to the bracket at the correct position as regards balance.

The whole lot is attached by a single screw which sometimes comes loose enough to allow it all to swing around about 180°, this is annoying rather than worrying.

I could fix the problem quite easily by fitting the equivalent of a video pin/screw, but this would involve tapping a thread into the footring. I'm quite capable of doing this but I can't quite make myself do it. I've made all sorts of different brackets for digiscoping but they've never involved mutilating any actual camera equipment I've bought.

I'm not likely to sell this lens on, I don't chop and change my equipment, just replace it when necessary, so my reluctance to drill this thing is completely irrational. I think I just need convincing to do it.

Would you tap an extra hole into a tripod foot ring?

Drill. If you have the equipment, skill and knowledge to do so. That way you'll end up with what you need rather than a make do that sometimes shifts and wobbles.

You could try thread lock. It is not a permanent glue It will undo if you need it to. I use it on my scope QR plate as that works loose at times. Regards pyenester

The next wet day I'm free I'll be in the garage with the drill and taps, I don't have any roll pins but I do have bolts, I had thought of threadlock but I want to be able to remove it easily with (at most) one screwdriver; this caveat works for both roll pins and threadlock.

I've convinced myself now, it's my tripod foot and I'll do what I want to the stupid thing.

Thanks for your input, it's helped me to clarify and come to terms with my objectives; jeez, it's only one little hole.:king:

John would it have not been easier and safer to bend the bracket the other way, this would have stopped any sideways movement and would have just the one original screw to take off?

Regards

John

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 36
John would it have not been easier and safer to bend the bracket the other way, this would have stopped any sideways movement and would have just the one original screw to take off?

Regards

John

Nooo: ;)

..........the hole in the down-turned section is where the dogclip on my shoulder strap attaches.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back