• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Voltage on external battery packs (1 Viewer)

Di Stone

Could anyone tell me what voltage reading I could go too on a 'home made' external battery pack? I've a friend who tells me he can make me some but needs to know the voltage reading. He also mentioned something about the polarity coming from the centre, would that be right?

I use both a Kyocera SL400R and Coolpix 4500 in case there will be different readings.

Any and all help very much appreicated :t: If I hadn't have insisted on decorating the house, I might be able to find the manuals for the cameras! House is starting to nice though 3:)

Di

You wrote

"He also mentioned something about the polarity coming from the centre, would that be right?"

Your friend needs to know if the centre pin of the power connector is + positive or - negative, get it wrong and you can probaly say goodbye to the camera. So be carefull.

Malc

The AC to DC power supply reading at the male dc input plug will usually read from 10 to 20 percent higher than nominal voltage. Also, be VERY careful with polarity. 7.4 volts is a very common camera battery voltage.

polarity

usually on the socket of any decent appliance ,in this case the camera body , there is little symbol that will indicate polarity .It will be a circle with a line drawn out and + or - next to it ,and an incomplete outer ring marked the same way Circle is centre pin and the "c" is outer

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/batteries/pwrgde-2G.htm

this explains better than i can .Be warned wrong way round will make the smoke come out, all the rubbish about positive and negative electrons is untrue , Electricity is smoke , once you release the smoke it will never work again !!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back