• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on ED50/ RAIII WP 82 (1 Viewer)

Wilfatron

New to scopes and currently looking to buy one. The ED50 has been recommended by a local supplier, but as I was browsing for a cheap deal on the net the RAIII WP 82 was suggested for a similar price. As such opinions would be appreciated.

Yup the ED glass in the ED50 is way better than the WP82 even in the dark rainforest where I had it with my, ED50 performed excellent for my needs :)

In contrast, I have recently picked up a RAIII and it is quite excellent. The larger apature gives brilliant,clear,crisp and bright images. On the levels yesterday in the gloom it wad literally plucking birds out of the shadow laden bushes.

It might not be ED but, IMHO, the larger size makes uo for this. Not heavy or cumbersome at all.

Worth considering. Try both side by side and see which you prefer.

That is good advice,Try both...The large aperture is going to be brighter,but the ED objective can ,and will deliver a cleaner image ,virtually free of CA...There are other brands too ,if price is the main issue,that can offer medium,or large objective size using ED glass,for less price than Nikon,....That is if You need the aperture and the quality glass...If You are looking for the best compromise in image-size at any price,then welcome to the ED50 club

I'd recommend the ED50 it is fantastic. If you do much travelling you'll find the compact size unbeatable. If out walking you can stuff it in a jacket pocket and use it with a monopod.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back