• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shutter release cable on Coolpix 5100 + Swarovski scope (1 Viewer)

xav

One question about the Nikon Coolpix P5100 (to use with the DCA adapter + Swarovski ATS80 hd): is it possible to put a shutter release cable on that camera? If it is (I hope so), where can I find the system to fix on the camera, to be able the use of the shutter release cable?

THANKS!!!!

- Xavier

shutter release

having just made a shutter release that is remarkably like the one in the link above .i can state that the price for this is good value and it works well.
Dave

I'll second the quality and longivity of the unit,, have one and use it on my Nikon P5000 and my Olympus E3,,

Dear Xavier

The solution from Neil will work but appears very complicated and delicate.

I assume you have the lens adapter for the 5100, to get you out past the extension of the lens, and the step-up ring to fit the 52mm largest DCA top plate.

I suggest you google-up "lensmate" and Richard Freniac's clever accessories. (Or google "camera release canon g9" and check out Don Ellis's pictures and other subsequent comments)

I have the Canon Powershot G9 with adapters to a CDA onto the Swarovski 80HD. Freniac does a neat clip-on to the G9's shutter release/zoom button, into which the cable release is screwed. No arms, levers, safety pins etc.

Write to them. They may make, or be able to make, something similar for the Coolpix. An alternative you might suggest would be for them to make a stick-on handle grip for the 5100, as they have for the G9, with a built-in extension bracket that goes over the release button and takes the cable. This would allow you to zoom easily.

It's a pity everyone appears to have dropped remote releases, without which good digiscoping is impossible.
However at least it make us look for alternatives, and we do not have to put up with the terrible, tiny, vulnerable jacks and sockets of the Coolpix 995 and 4500.

An infra-red or wireless would be nice, but a good old -fashioned cable is not going to go wrong in the middle of the jungle with a lifer in your sights.

regards

Steve Cook

Xavier

While I am here....if you have trouble sometimes finding your bird, may I whisper three words to you.

"RED DOT SIGHTS" .......they may change your life.

Steve Cook

Xavier

While I am here....if you have trouble sometimes finding your bird, may I whisper three words to you.

"RED DOT SIGHTS" .......they may change your life.

Steve Cook

Steve, I am so desperate with aiming that I might consider the red dot sight. But isn't there a parallax problem here? I guess it must work if hunters use them for sighting.

Dennis, I use a red dot finder on my scope and it is very easy to locate or follow a bird,, also use it for the astronomy side,, once locked in I have never had to adjust,,

as for any parallax I have not noticed,, guess if the bird or subject is five feet in front of you there may be but for the normal distance of 15M to stars in the night sky it is dead on accurate,,

I have a Simmons 42mm which is very easy to sight through and see the red dot,,

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1149 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1149 (800 x 600).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 224
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back