• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax UA-1 Camera Adapter-anyone tried this? (1 Viewer)

COGoshawk

Bird Slut-I'll look at anything
Has anyone tried the Pentax UA-1 Camera Adapter with a Pentax scope? I have the 80-EDA and the illustration at the pentax website:

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+88041

is for a straight scope. Is this any improvement over the other universal adaptors available? I know a number of folks use the Baader universal adaptor and like the swing-out version.

Ed
Evergreen, CO

i have not used this adapter but from what i have read on this site and others is the ua-1 is not real stable and pictures can become difficult to keep in focus. perhaps with a good tripod and some practice the results could improve. for a point and shoot camera i have read that the zeiss quick camera adapter (5x the cost) is a solid platform and can be used with the pentax angled models and it mounts to the scope body unlike others and the ua-1 which attaches to the eyepiece so no matter strait or angled it follows the position of the eyepiece.

hope this helps, kirklyn

Yeah, I have the Pentax UA-1 Camera Adapter and have tried using it with mixed results. Some comments:
1) the instructions are AWFUL, you are on your own in figuring out all the knobs.
2 the adapter fits around the locking collar on the body of the scope, which places it quite far away from the back of the eyepiece, particularly if your camera has a zoom lens that telescopes out. This distance puts too much torque on the too narrow grip on the collar.
3) the adapter is not sturdy enough to support a small DSLR or DSLR-like camera (e.g. Panasonic G1); it really would only work with a light P&S camera.
4) for a light P&S camera, it's better than nothing, but have a remote shutter release for your camera to minimize camera movement.
5) the tiny bolt at the bottom of the vertical pole, will work its way loose all the time. I just strap an Allen wrench to the adapter with a rubber band so I'll always have it handy when I need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back