• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 10x43 or Vortex Talon HD 10x42? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

I am trying to decide between these 2 binoculars. I am an eyeglass wearer
and I do have close set eyes, so I need a pair with a minimum IPD of 56mm,
which BOTH of these models have. I find that all models with a minimum 58mm
IPD, and I CAN NOT get a complete circle when the barrels are fully closed!

I have owned the Vortex Broadwing 10 x42 with 56mm and they worked PERFECTLY!

Which of these 2 binos is the best build quality and best optics??

Thanks!
Michael

I happened to have both in hand today. It is pretty obvious they are the same thing. The feel,the hinge, the eyecup, the apparent sameness in lens and prisms, everything seems the same. Focus one of each and I could not seperate the image to save my life. The only difference is the Talon has thicker armor. I can touch the tip of my thumb to the tip of my middle finger grasping the ZEN around the barrel between the hinge. I can't with the Talon. This makes the Talon feel bigger than the ZEN. The ZEN is already big enough. Pick your brand and grab your card. It could just as easy be the Zen Ray Talon or the Vortex ED 2.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am trying to decide between these 2 binoculars. I am an eyeglass wearer
and I do have close set eyes, so I need a pair with a minimum IPD of 56mm,
which BOTH of these models have. I find that all models with a minimum 58mm
IPD, and I CAN NOT get a complete circle when the barrels are fully closed!

A quick measurement on my Zen Ray ED2 shows it's minimum IPD to be 58mm.

If the Talon has teh same enclosure (and I believe Steve C if he say it has) then neither of these bins will work for you.

I can remember previous threads on small IPD bins (56mm like yours) and the problems people having in getting them. The top four makes bins do got to 56 or less.

But finding a mid range one might be more of a problem.

I just checked my ZR ED2 7x36 and that goes to 55mm. So that or any of the other equivalents (7x36 or 8x36) might fit the bill.

Steve C, you say they're the same bin- did you happen to notice if the Talon HD has the somewhat sped-up focusing of the ED2 rather than the very slow focus of the ED?

Interesting, Steve C, thanks.

Raptorbfl, since based on Steve C's report these are basically identical, perhaps warranty ends up being the main thing to consider here (besides any differences there might be in price)- Vortex has a "no-fault" type warranty, while Zen-Ray, though it seems to have a good reputation for responsive customer service, only has a warranty covering defects in materials and workmanship.

(This is, of course, only if the IPD ends up working for you, which it sounds like it may not.)

Last edited:
SEOW,

Thanks, actually BOTH models will work for me, as they both have minimum IPD of 56mm.
I think I may go for the Vortex, as they just look for rugged looking and I have owned a
pair of the Stokes Broadwing 10 x 42, which worked perfectly until they got lost.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back