• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop Elements 4 and RAW help please! (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I decided to try and shoot for the first time in RAW with my Panasonic FZ50. When I tried to download the photos into Elements 4 it wouldnt recognise the files. I looked into the plug ins with my Elements and couldnt see a RAW converter mentioned.

Ay help and suggestions as to how to solve this would be much appreciated.

If it involves downloading upgrades help as to where such downloads should be saved into would also be welcome

You would need to have Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) installed - I expect there will be an ACR already installed as it comes with Elements - but you'll need to update to the most up to date version of ACR that's compatible with Elements 4, which is ACR 3.7.

I've checked, and the FZ50 is supported by 3.7.

You could also convert the Raw files into Tiffs, using the Silkypix software that came with your camera. You can apply the conversion to as many images as you want in one batch. It will take a few minutes, but once it's done you'll be able to open the Tiffs in Elements.

Malcolm

Thanks Keith and Malcolm.

I downloaded ACR 3.7 successfully and converted my first RAW image. When compared to the jpeg it took at the same time the difference is amazing. Much richer colours light variation etc...!

Many thanks

Yep, that sounds about right, BB - and you've got massively more processing "wiggle room" in RAW than in jpg, which can make all the difference.

Last edited:
Yep, that sounds about right, BB - and you've got massively more processing "wiggle room" in RAW than in jpg, which can make all the difference.

Thanks. Now all I have to decide is whether to shoot in RAW all the time and buy lots more memory cards or just occasionally when I think the shot might be worth it.

Whats your experience?

Thanks. Now all I have to decide is whether to shoot in RAW all the time and buy lots more memory cards or just occasionally when I think the shot might be worth it.
Some cameras shoot both a Raw and a Jpg file for the same image .At times you may need to view an image on a friends computer or send it . Raw can be useless in these situations .There is a lossless compression that saves a bit of space .
Seems Odd to smash a 12 MP camera's image down to an 800 pixel square to post on the web .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back