• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query: Canon 100-400 with TCs (1 Viewer)

No Nick the 100-400 will not AF with either of these extenders attached. The 5D Mk2 will only AF up to a maximum of f5.6. The 1.4x will make your lens f8 and the 2x will make it f11.

If you use a teleconverter with the 100-400 and the 5D2 and autofocus using Live View, does the exposure function still work or will I need to set the exposure too in manual focus mode?

Also, do you know whether there has been more than one version or series of the Canon 100-400 L lens, or have all these lenses sold to date been identical? ie. would an older second hand lens be the same as a brand new one bought now for £1300 or so?

If you use a teleconverter with the 100-400 and the 5D2 and autofocus using Live View, does the exposure function still work or will I need to set the exposure too in manual focus mode?

Also, do you know whether there has been more than one version or series of the Canon 100-400 L lens, or have all these lenses sold to date been identical? ie. would an older second hand lens be the same as a brand new one bought now for £1300 or so?

There is only one version of this lens and, except for wear and tear, new is the same as old. Using Canon and Kenko extenders never gave me any exposure issues/changes on this lens.

In my opinion and experience (had this lens for 5+ years) don't bother with extenders. AF or lack of it is not the problem. The 100-400 is a good lens but it does not produce good images with extenders. You really need an F4 or faster prime lens to get good results with extenders - with the possible exception of the Canon 200-400 F4 - silly money but nice!

I will disagree with you. here's a capture from a 5D3 and an 100-400L with 1.4TC.

http://claudedesrosiers.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature/i-gT289qP/0/X3/013C5285-X3.jpg

The IQ is still great but the AF suffer. That's the drawback. I had to pre-focus to get these shot in time.
Not bad but it is certainly lacking in fine detail and you can see that the IQ has taken a big hit IMHO . At the end of the day I guess IQ is subjective so while some folk would be perfectly happy with a shot like this others folk would not that's for sure.
I would advise against the OP using a tc with the 100-400 myself if he want quality images.

Last edited:
Not bad but it is certainly lacking in fine detail and you can see that the IQ has taken a big hit IMHO . At the end of the day I guess IQ is subjective so while some folk would be perfectly happy with a shot like this others folk would not that's for sure.
I would advise against the OP using a tc with the 100-400 myself if he want quality images.

It serviceable and if you are not a pixel peeper, I think you would find that it's fine. Like I said, the biggest drawback is the AF and the IS that will make this lens with an TC hard to use. I moved on to an Tamron 150-600mm. I am not looking back.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back