• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM3 60 + SDL V2..is it really waterproof? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

Some say the scope and eyepiece is waterproof and some say not..what do you say? Is it totaly waterproof or not? Is it possible to clean the MM3 60 ED and the SDL V2 under running water?

Maybe the scope and the SDL V2 is completely waterproof, but not the HDF zoom? It seems to be the case when looking at Opticrons own website. That's why it has become a bit confusing whether Opticron MM3 is waterproof or not, I think!?

Kingfisher, I have the GS 52 GA ED (a predecessor of the MM3) and that was my understanding too when I bought it - that the HDF is not waterproof but the SDL v2 is. I started with the HDF and bought an SDL later but I have to say I haven't needed to (or had the courage to) run it under the tap yet.

Perhaps someone will be along from Opticron to confirm.

Thank´s for the information, ProwlingBoy!

I thought the Opticron MM3 60 with the SDL V2 was totaly waterproof when I bought it, but when I later red a review of the scope (see the attached image) I was a little disappointed. It stated that the MM3 60 isn´t absolutely waterproof. True or false?

Attachments

• Opticron review skärmdump.jpg
    Opticron review skärmdump.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Before buying the MM3 60 ED earlier this year, I contacted Opticron via email to ask whether it was waterproof as i needed to ensure that i wouldnt get fogging. They confirmed to me via email that it was waterproof and nitrogen filled: Heres a excerpt from their email:

'Dear +++

The MM3 series are nitrogen waterproof so you won’t have any problems of misting up. Just make sure to choose one of the HDF fixed magnification eyepieces or the 40936 SDLv2 zoom eyepiece to go with it.'

Last edited:
The comment in the BBR review is incorrect. As per the email extract above, the SDL and MM3 are fully waterproof. The HDF zoom eyepiece is not.

Cheers, Pete

Opticron's website says that the mm3 are "fully rain proof and dustproof" but I did not see any reference there on the eyepiece range.

The comment in the BBR review is incorrect. As per the email extract above, the SDL and MM3 are fully waterproof. The HDF zoom eyepiece is not.

Cheers, Pete

Opticron's website says that the mm3 are "fully rain proof and dustproof" but I did not see any reference there on the eyepiece range.

You have to choose "Telescopes and eyepieces" -> "MM3" -> scroll down to "eyepieces" to see the information!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-09-16-34-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-09-16-34-13.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back