• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon IS Models (1 Viewer)

Looking at the 32s they seem quite long and heavy.
I wonder if the objectives are slower than the 10x30s, i.e. considerably longer focal length.
Part of the length may be because of the optical windows.

Not the slightest idea !
But again, that‘s me talking, with an IPD of 61mm.
People with wide IPDs may be happy with them.

On the other hand, all those observing wearing their glasses may also not like the folded down eyecups, since eye relief is not huge and the folded down eyecups prevent you from having your glasses touch the eyelenses, so you most likely lose some FOV.

The solution may be to exchange the regular eyecups with other ones that fit; a winged design might be ideal.

On the 10x42 L you can take the rubber eyecups off then remove the extending sleeves by unscrewing the 2 screws they run on. This reveals a narrower 40mm tube that you can fit replacement eyecups on. Good for someone with a narrow IPD and big nose. The stock eyecups measure 46mm diameter according to my dial caliper.

I don't really understand why the clickstops extend so far. I don't wear glasses and if you extend past position 1 the image is being cut off severely.
In fact, the best position for me is almost zero extension which gives a great view.

Last edited:
Just measured the rubber eyecups on the 15 year old 18x50 IS.
They are still soft rubber and they fit me perfectly.
They both are about 48.5mm outside diameter, so the new 32s, (quoted 49mm), may have the same eyecups as the 18x50 IS.

Thanks.
Sounds similar to systems used in astronomy to counteract atmospheric instability.
Some of these use red lasers directed miles into space to create artificial stars maybe.
Loudspeaker coils or voice coils?

The Canon 8x25 IS has the moving element near the front, but the aperture is small.

I knew of the British binocular motion correction system.

My 18x50 IS still works well after 15 years, but I don't know if the Variprism loses transmission over time.

I'm going to take a punt here and say VAP has had it's day. Current shift lens systems react faster. VAP systems take a fraction of a second to get back critical focus if moved IMHO.
I'll know more tomorrow, I've got a 2017 model 12x36 III to play with for a couple of days and compare to a current 10x42 L IS. The Mk.III was launched in 2015 so should be as good as VAP can get after many years of tweaking....

Unfortunately, the 3 new models with shift lens IS are just to expensive for me to consider given they don't have L optics or fast glass.

Last edited:
My 10x30 IS Mk II is extremely good.

But I have found great variability between units.

A latest 8x25 IS is a lemon.
An earlier 8x25 IS with the newer IS system was fantastic.

The Nikon Stabileyes are 12x32 and 16x32. Also 14x40.
So exit pupil is 2.0mm to ~2.8mm.
I have never tried them.

Fujinon exit pupils are also small.

I have had no problems with Canon 18x50 IS.

The Fuji version of the 14x40 seems good value in the States @ $999 with pelican case. Designed for viewing off moving platforms like boats or helicopters with it's 5 degree gimbal system, but a bit to specialized as a general purpose binocular. It looks like something out of Dan Dare...

https://www.amazon.com/Fujinon-Tech...&qid=1511997231&sr=8-2&keywords=fujinon+14x40

Last edited:
She seems happy with them at 1m 20 second stopped video.
The eyecups seem to be the same as on the 18x50 IS which suit my far sighted eyes very well.

The Zeiss 20x60 S has magnetic damping, springs and counterweights (which may be the prisms?).

What I don't know is how many years the magnet lasts.

The warranty used to be 5 years.

It is I think the best hand held binocular one can buy. But one needs to be strong.

It is cumbersome and the button needs to be held down.
Basically one needs to hold it in one hand to support it and press the button with the other.

Optically, centrally, it is I think unrivalled in a hand held binocular. The only better binocular might be the Takahashi 22x 60, but this is really a binocular telescope, I think heavier and narrow field.

The field is heavily curved, but optically it is near astro performance.

It is quite an old design, possibly inspired by horse racing needs for the far side of the track.

It was maybe designed by the same person who designed the Zeiss 15x60.

It featured in a CSI episode as the main clue.

The Zeiss 20x60 S has magnetic damping, springs and counterweights (which may be the prisms?).

What I don't know is how many years the magnet lasts.

The warranty used to be 5 years.

It is I think the best hand held binocular one can buy. But one needs to be strong.

It is cumbersome and the button needs to be held down.
Basically one needs to hold it in one hand to support it and press the button with the other.

Optically, centrally, it is I think unrivalled in a hand held binocular. The only better binocular might be the Takahashi 22x 60, but this is really a binocular telescope, I think heavier and narrow field.
V
The field is heavily curved, but optically it is near astro performance.

It is quite an old design, possibly inspired by horse racing needs for the far side of the track.

It was maybe designed by the same person who designed the Zeiss 15x60.

It featured in a CSI episode as the main clue.

.....and rather heavy at 1673g (3lb 11ozs)

Although it looks like a roof prism binocular it's a porro the same as all other stabilised binoculars, but l stand to be corrected.

It will be interesting to see which manufacturer will be first to produce a stabilised roof.

Stan

Stan,
I understand that the original Canon 15x45 IS was a roof prism design. Perhaps 1997?
If so it was maybe the first roof prism stabilised binocular, but I am not sure what the original BAE design was.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back