• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BL 8x42 BR? (1 Viewer)

Kammerdiner

There are some good deals out there on this discontinued model, and I'm currently without an all-around full-size bin, something I can use when I'd rather leave my SE at home because of weather or water (kayaking). I especially like the low weight of the BL: 22.9 oz.

I'm using a Pentax 8x32 ED for this purpose right now, but honestly I can't quite warm up to it. Doesn't seem sharp enough in the center. I always seem to be hunting for that "snap" of sharpness. A bit frustrating.

So, anybody familiar with this Minox? I'm particularly interested in center sharpness because that's what the Pentax seems to lack. I'm not asking it to do what the SE (or the Pentax) does in terms of FOV, CA, etc., but does it at least snap in the center? That's where the bird is, after all.

Mark

I have a pair and they are sharp enough. I am pretty happy with them although I compared them to a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks and the Diamondbacks were better.

Chad

Mark - I have a new pair of Minox porro WP internal focusing binoculars in 8x44. At dusk or early morning it out performs my Zeiss FL 8x32. Of course the FOV is less, but the Minox has sharpness that compares to my Nikon 8x32 SE. The Minox is less expensive, too. John

Mark - I have a new pair of Minox porro WP internal focusing binoculars in 8x44. At dusk or early morning it out performs my Zeiss FL 8x32. Of course the FOV is less, but the Minox has sharpness that compares to my Nikon 8x32 SE. The Minox is less expensive, too. John

I just picked up a pair of these for $280 new on ebay to be my new truck bins. I'm delighted. They aren't the ultimate porro solution b/c of their narrow field of view, but should be perfect for their chosen role.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back