• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Identification of some birds (1 Viewer)

chris2

Hi Forum,

I'm doing some research on Siamese porcelain gambling tokens with bird motives on it. I'm not good in identifying them (the birds) and need some help. For more details see attached image.

The porcelain tokens were used by Chinese people in Siam (Thailand) during the 19 century in gambling houses of Bangkok. Those porcelain token were made in China exclusively for use in Siam.

Any body can help identifying the birds #1..#8?
I guess that #4 is a roster or chicken and #8 could be a peacock... but not sure. For the others I have no idea what kind of bird it could be.

Can someone identify them?

Thanks.... Chris

Attachments

• Unknown Birds.jpg
    Unknown Birds.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 212
Still need identification of the birds..., Bangkok, Thailand

Hi Forum....

Happy New Year.... It would be great if someone can identify the birds in the post above. I'm stuck here in my research. Or does someone know a better place where to post my bird ID request?

Regards
Chris

I'm not sure it's possible to ID all of these but will have a go:
1. no idea?
2. Quail species?
3. A small grebe?
4. Domestic hen
7. no idea?
8. Peacock

5 + 6 look the same but hard to say for sure. I'll guess that they could be either a pigeon or bird of paradise sp. or maybe a trogon sp.?

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I'd looked at these previously, but I don't think the stylized images can be identified to species - as you say possibly a cockerel and a peacock (one of the peacocks) - but they are hardly accurate representations of particular birds.

It might be better to research the gambling side of things - do the different birds represent different values for exampe? It might be in lit. somewhere.

The following are purely guesses. It seems logical to me that they would have employed largely well-known, recognizable-to-most-anyone species. So maybe:

1) a myna, maybe crested?
2) a quail or a button-quail
3) a grebe
4) chicken (wild form is called Jungle Fowl)
5) maybe a parrot going by the feet and long tail; ringneck?
6) no idea really; the wing/tail arrangement is meant to indicate something...
7) a pelican
8) a peacock

Research update

Hi Forum,
Thanks to all of you for comments and trying to identify the birds on the porcelain tokens. I know it’s more difficult to determine which exact specie it is compare to see the real life (picture) one. What I need is actually to know what kind of bird (family) it is… no need to go into much details about what sub specie the bird is. I know that can’t be seen on the tokens clearly.
The comments and hints posted were quite useful to give me an idea in which direction I should continue searching.

Here an update of all and what I found:

Location: I think the birds are common to South East Asia and China because they are manufactured by Chinese people (in China) for Chinese People exclusively in Siam (Thailand).

Symbolic Meaning: All birds must have a certain symbolic meaning in Chinese culture. For e.g. the Peacock stands for dignity and beauty, confidence and this means the other birds (#1 to #7) must have similar symbolic meanings to the Chinese who used the tokens. Conclusion is to look for birds that match the shape and have a symbolic meaning for Chinese people.

#1 could be a Chinese Crested Myna
Crested Myna is also known as Chinese Crested Myna. A common popular pet in China, it has been introduced into Penang Island when Chinese migrated to Malaya. They can often be seen with common myna.

#2 could be an Asian Blue Quail
The tiny Chinese Painted Quail, widely known as the Button Quail or Asian Blue Quail, is one of the most widely kept and smallest of all game bird species. They are popular with cage and aviary bird enthusiasts, who use this species to "clean-up" seed spilled by hook bills or finches. You will also see this species in many pet stores, perhaps due to their small, cute size they are very popular as pet birds.

#3 could be a Crane
The crane is the most popular bird in Chinese history and is a symbol of longevity and auspiciousness. In ancient China the crane was regarded as having a long life span and one Chinese legend says that a immortal rode a crane to heaven. The crane also represents a lasting soaring spirit, health, and happiness.
This could mean in regards to gambling tokens”…good luck and long lasting happiness….if you play…” or something like this.

#4 could be a roster or cock
An image of a Rooster conveys a wish for advancement because the Rooster's crest, (guan), is a play on the Chinese word meaning official. More importantly, the Rooster is an auspicious creature that can ward off evil spirits. Legend has it that the Heavenly Rooster of Dusu Mountain was crowing loudly and making all the roosters on earth crow along with it. This tremendous wall of sound (crowing) would result in scaring all evil spirits away.
This could mean in regards to gambling tokens”…take advantage and protect your wins….” or something like this.

#5 could be a Swallow
The Chinese believe the swallow is a messenger of spring and happiness in Chinese culture, and is seen as a symbol of good fortune.
This could mean in regards to gambling tokens”…good fortune and happiness….if you play…” or something like this.

#6 not identified yet….

#7 most likely a Crane too, same like #3

#8 Peacock
In the Chinese culture the Peacock stands for dignity and beauty, confidence.
This could mean in regards to gambling tokens ”…the confidence to win...” or something like this.

Regards
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back