• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please (Mwnt, Cardiganshire, Wales) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Spending a few days over here and trying to get a bit of birding in. After a great view of a Peregrine speeding into a string headwind, I found a small bird in the surrounding bushes.

Really having problems IDing this one. Looks like a juv. Stonechat but doesn't sit upright at all. Also has a blue-grey flank. Pictures are a little pale, brown should be a little richer towards chestnut and the blue flank can be easily seen by eye.

It was on it's own and trying to keep out of the wind and popped up just for a short time and then disappeared.

Yours

Gareth

Attachments

• IMG_1375 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_1375 - Copy (2).jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1376 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_1376 - Copy (2).jpg
    278 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1378 - Copy (3).jpg
    IMG_1378 - Copy (3).jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi Dan
Thanks for the input. I have seen stonechats here before but they didn't look like this. Are they very variable? I can't find the blue-ish flank in any of my previous pics or Collins.
Yours, Gareth

This is a female/juv type - the bluish flanks you are seeing are actually just down feathers poking through, you can see that area is somewhat ruffled. If it was smoothed out that area would be the same color as the rest of the breast/flanks

Agree with Dan. Keep an eye out for Chough if you're around the Mwnt area Gar. Teifi marshes also had a Bluethroat last week.

Rich

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the input and explanation.
Saw a Peregrine fighting hard against the headwind but too fast for me and my bridge camera. Lucked out on the Choughs, again.
A few dragonflies (see the forum later) at Teifi Marshes but the Bluethroats seems to have shot through and although lots of Twitchers were about nothing seems to have come of it.
Grey Wagtail and Dipper at Cenarth falls today. Got to check through the pics and hopefully will have a couple of decent ones, but the light was appalling and shooting at 1/60th and at distance, I am resigned to the fact that they will just be record shots.
Great part of the country. With 20k of camera kit I am sure I could do better :)
Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back