• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll Help (1 Viewer)

snapper

seen at Brandon marsh today Redpolls with Siskins there was one redpoll different to the others white chest etc which another birder pointed out & he gave the redpoll a unusual name a something redpoll something I had not herd of before but when I got back to the caf'e & checked my ref book there is only 2 redpolls Common & Artic in the forum database there are 3 Common, Hoary, & Lesser I am totally confused with the bird I have seen & which redpoll is what the person who spotted the different bird first was wearing a Bird Forum baseball cap if you are out there come to my rescue any help from any one please PS there is only Artic & Lesser in Jeffs Database to.
Regards Snapper.

The bird you saw will have been a Common Redpoll. The name the birder used will have been a Mealy Redpoll, which is the name used before lesser and mealy were split and mealy renamed as common.

Hope that makes sense.

G

garry1366 said:
The bird you saw will have been a Common Redpoll. The name the birder used will have been a Mealy Redpoll, which is the name used before lesser and mealy were split and mealy renamed as common.

Hope that makes sense.

G
Thanks Garry that was the word he used that has saved me a sleepless night
Best Regards Snapper

snapper said:
PS there is only Artic & Lesser in Jeffs Database to.
Regards Snapper.

There should be three in the database:

Lesser Redpoll - Carduelis cabaret
Mealy Redpoll - Carduelis flammea, also known as Common Redpoll
Artic Redpoll - Carduelis hornemanni

jeff said:
There should be three in the database:

Lesser Redpoll - Carduelis cabaret
Mealy Redpoll - Carduelis flammea, also known as Common Redpoll
Artic Redpoll - Carduelis hornemanni
Sorry Jeff there is 3 could not find Common did not know it was called Mealy Thanks
Regards Snapper.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back