• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 8 x 25 Macroscope Monocular (1 Viewer)

mports

Guys,

I'm practically blind in my right eye - With this in mind purchasing a pair of binoculars seems a little pointless to me, so I'm considering a monocular.

I'm looking for something practical for observing Dragonflies at close range and have come across the Minox 8 x 25 Macroscope, which seems to be nothing other than a Monocular with very close focusing distance of 350mm - Seems perfect for the job to me.

I can get hold of one for £110, however before I go and spend the dosh, I was wondering if anyone had actually seen one?

• Whats the quality like?
  • Is there anything else I should consider?
Regards

Mark

macroscope

Yes I had a look at one a couple of weeks ago and I think I'll be getting one soon. Good close focus a real bonus, it worked on the paving slabs at my feet so should be good for Dragonflies. Nice construction too.

Thanks for the reply, I decided to purchase a pair of Pentax Papilio 6.5x21mm binoculars instead - I found them easier to hold.

Overall I'm very impressed, especially considering the £56 cost from Tecno.

Thanks for the reply, I decided to purchase a pair of Pentax Papilio 6.5x21mm binoculars instead - I found them easier to hold.

Overall I'm very impressed, especially considering the £56 cost from Tecno.

I just read your first post and was about to suggest these bins for exactly that reason... I've only recently tried them and am very impressed. At £56 they are a great buy, I have a feeling quite a few people will be tempted at that price.

I've got a Macroscope and to be honest I think you have done the right thing, I wish now I had gone for small bins, the Macroscope is a devil to hold still and it is surprisingly big in your pocket.

Mick

I revisited the local dealer to check the Minox out again, have to say I agree with the comments of Mickymouse . I did not invest.

As an eye glass wearer, i need to ask, how is the eye relief?

Also, does anyone know of any serious reviews of this model (in English, I am mono-lingual)?

Thanks

Last edited:
My partner uses a Minox 8x25 as her primary birding glass. She has a field deficit (from an aneurysm) in one eye that makes it impossible for her to use binoculars. I'd say for a small minocukar, it does an amazing job and she has no problems using it - she used to also carry a small spotting scope that she used handheld, but now she mostly shares the big scope and uses her Minox the way I use binoculars.

Here in the US, you can sometimes pick them up on ebay for a screaming deal - I paid under $75 for hers new and there is one on there now for a buy it now of $78.

Jackie

I have a Minox Macroscope that I acquired for my 7 year old son when his binoculars broke in transit to the UK last August. I had intended to get him a new pair of binoculars but he insisted on this monocular instead. As it turned out, he would not be parted from it for the duration of our trip, using it to examine lizards, dragonflies and moths as well as birds. I even found myself leaving behind my heavy 10x42 Leicas in the knowledge that I could always pinch the Minox if we ran into something unusual. I ended up using it to check through gull flocks, confirm the identity of buzzards, examine butterflies and even do a bit of private seawatching while everyone else was in the Minack Theatre. Together, we enjoyed excellent views of a Peregrine harassing Rock Doves as we scrambled down a rock face where binoculars would have been out of the question. In my view the Minox Macroscope is both a good primary optic for kids as well as a handy tool to take on a walk when binoculars are just that little bit too bulky. I was very impressed by the optical quality, which was far superior to the similar sized 8 x 25 type binoculars we had tried. And the close focus makes it ideal for viewing insects. I wear spectacles and had no problem with the eye relief. On the basis of the Macroscope, I would be keen to try some Minox binoculars for myself.

Before anyone buys one of these make absolute sure they are fully multicoated. I just bought the little 8x16 monocular and it performs like a ten dollar piece of junk except with good clarity. They are no coatings on any surfaces. Shine a light down the objective and every reflection is full white.

In anything but full bright light it's useless and about as good as a Tasco. They should be embarrassed selling this garbage. Many sites even list this item as multicoated. I'm livid and feel cheated, I want them to give me credit or take it back,special order or not. This is disgraceful for a such a famous German optics company to be selling optics with no coatings in the modern age.

Last edited:
Before anyone buys one of these make absolute sure they are fully multicoated. I just bought the little 8x16 monocular and it performs like a ten dollar piece of junk except with good clarity. They are no coatings on any surfaces. Shine a light down the objective and every reflection is full white.

The Minoscope 8x25 is fully multi-coated.

Jackie

The Minoscope 8x25 is fully multi-coated.

Jackie

Glad to hear it. I'm absolutely fuming at Minox over selling me their overpriced piece of junk. Because of the reputation of a good German company I didn't do my proper research to find that monocular was barely coated and therefore works horribly.

I feel they used their good name to sucker me into buying overpriced junk. At least you have yourself some nice modern optics there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back