• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 10x42 in $300 to $400 range (US)? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Black Friday is here (in the US) and I'm in the market for the best $300 to $400(ish) binoculars. I think I want a 10x42 (or 43) as that's what I have now, but feel free to talk me into a 8x42.

They will be used for general wildlife viewing.

Some that I'm looking at are the following:

Zeiss Terra HD 10x42 (Camo version for $300)

Zen Ray ED3 10x43 (Looks like they are around $440. I'd need to catch a sale or demo model)

Athlon Midas ED 10x42 ($300) Wirecutter recommended the 8x42 version in their test.

Alpen Wings ED 10x42 ($400) Wirecutter also liked the 8x42 version

Sightron Siii LR 10x42 $400 (not sure about these, but Sightron Blue Sky ii have an almost cult-like following among some of you guys for being a great value so I thought I'd mention them. But I wouldn't purchase these unless I found more reviews or people really raving about them)

Vanguard Endeavor ED and Vanguard Endeavor ED II (there's a $100 rebate program. They would be $140 and $300 after a mail-in rebate, respectively.) Some people say these are a good value. Others perceive a lot of CA.

Anything else I should be considering? I'm fine with open box or demo models.

I look forward to what more experienced people have to say. Thanks.

There are plenty of good options in this price range but I can't say enough good things about a Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8X42. It's not perfect but hard to fault for less than $400 IMO. I'd re-buy in a second.

Attachments

• DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 111
Id go with the Zeiss....In fact I did....good all around view....nice warranty...brand name that has been around forever and will be there if you need them.....

There are plenty of good options in this price range but I can't say enough good things about a Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8X42. It's not perfect but hard to fault for less than $400 IMO. I'd re-buy in a second.

Thank you, Chuck. Is there any reason to think the 10x don't perform as well as the 8x? No issues with CA? With the rebate it seems to be a great deal at $300.

Also, do you think the ED II is worth the premium over the $140 price (with rebate) for the older ED?

Last edited:
I concur with our two friends who have already posted;

Terra or Endeavor II.

I have a Terra 8x32 and have respect for the Vanguard products and having tried them at two successive British Bird Fairs.

Try before you buy if at all possible.

Lee

Thanks. I'm looking at Endeavor II reviews now and there seems to have been significant improvement over the earlier gen ED. So I'm leaning to the Endeavor IIs over the cheaper ED.

Unfortunately, trying before I buy isn't an option. Best I can do is order from a place with a fair return policy. Even then, I won't be able to compare two models side by side. But I have some recourse if I order one and am unsatisfied.

I concur with our two friends who have already posted;

Terra or Endeavor II.

I have a Terra 8x32 and have respect for the Vanguard products and having tried them at two successive British Bird Fairs.

Try before you buy if at all possible.

Lee

Hey, Lee, did you ever do a review of that 8x32 Terra? I have [or my wife does] the 8x42 but would be interested in the smaller 32 for travel and a work-knock-a-bout.

once again....I have 2 of the terra 8x32 ....The wife and I bought a pair and liked them so much that we got another pair so we could both have one on our walks together.........there might be better ones out there but I'm a zeiss fan and like their customer service overall.....

once again....I have 2 of the terra 8x32 ....The wife and I bought a pair and liked them so much that we got another pair so we could both have one on our walks together.........there might be better ones out there but I'm a zeiss fan and like their customer service overall.....

I'm tracking. Have you tried any of the others mentioned here? I'm sure if I pick up the Terra's I will like them as they are no doubt an improvement over what I have now. Even though they are Chinese, at least you have the Zeiss brand behind them (though Vanguard's no fault/no hassle would seem to be stronger than Zeiss's warranty.)

But the real question is how they compare to the others.

I should have added Minox HD 10x44 BL to the list. I've found them in my price range.

I think Terra, Endeavor ED II and the Minox are now my short list.

Thank you, Chuck. Is there any reason to think the 10x don't perform as well as the 8x? No issues with CA? With the rebate it seems to be a great deal at $300.

Also, do you think the ED II is worth the premium over the $140 price (with rebate) for the older ED?

I absolutely would have no problems buying a 10X42 ED II, I just have never owned one. Allbinos in fact scored the 10X42 better. My 8x42 is really a fine binocular beyond it's price. Right now at opticsplanet.com you can get the 10X42 for $399.99. They have a 13% discount code for THAT BINOCULAR(BFBINO13) with makes it $347.99. THEN $100.00 rebate...biggest no-brainer I've seen in a long time. As far as the ED vs. the ED II...no idea.

I absolutely would have no problems buying a 10X42 ED II, I just have never owned one. Allbinos in fact scored the 10X42 better. My 8x42 is really a fine binocular beyond it's price. Right now at opticsplanet.com you can get the 10X42 for $399.99. They have a 13% discount code for THAT BINOCULAR(BFBINO13) with makes it $347.99. THEN $100.00 rebate...biggest no-brainer I've seen in a long time. As far as the ED vs. the ED II...no idea.

Done! Thanks for finding that discount, Chuck.

By the way, I'm going to be in the market for a spotter here in a little bit. You mind doing my personal shopping and finding me the best deal on that one too? ;)

Done! Thanks for finding that discount, Chuck.

By the way, I'm going to be in the market for a spotter here in a little bit. You mind doing my personal shopping and finding me the best deal on that one too? ;)

GREAT! I think you'll like it.

As far as spotters go... I have two....a Swarovski STS-80 and a Kowa TSN-883. If I were looking for a good deal, I'd probably start with the previous model Vortex Razor HD. The folks on the spotting scope forum know MUCH more about scopes than I do...

8X vs 10X

8x if you are birding in an enclosed or wooded area
8x if your hands are not steady

10x if you are birding in a more open area

edj

most of my birding is in a wooded area when I walk the dogs,
8x32 more in summer with leaves
10x32 more in winter without leaves
but frankly I cannot tell that much difference

Last edited:
With some diligence you may find a Nikon Monarch 7 in that price range. I had a chance to compare side by side the Terra ED with the Leupold Mojave and the Leupold was brighter and crisper, considerably so. Put the Celestron Granite on your list. In your price range and an excellent view.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back