• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Guide, Fuerteventura. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I have booked a weeks holiday to Fuerteventura in January 2017, it will be my first trip to this island. Can anyone recommend a Bird Guide please. I will be staying in Costa Calma.

Hi Pam,

If by "Bird Guide" you mean a guide book for identification then Collins 'Bird Guide' would be fine but I also used Helm Field Guide's 'Birds of the Atlantic Islands' by Tony Clarke for more local information.

If you mean a guide to sites for bird-watching I used 'Finding Birds in The Canaries' by Dave Gosney.

If you are looking for a person to guide you around then I am afraid I cannot help.

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply.

I do indeed mean a person to guide me around, I should have made that more clear. I have already purchased the Dave Gosney guide book and of course my Collins 'Bird guide' will be travelling with me!

Thanks again for your help.

If your interest extends beyond birds to other aspects of the environment then you may find the Crossbill Guide to the Canary Islands Vol 1 - Lanzarote &Fuerteventura useful (although I'm biased as I helped to edit the book).

If you have the Gosney guide and if you can rent a car for a day or two you should be fine without a guide. There are not that many species around and the interesting ones are easy to find with Gosneys site descriptions.
However, maybe the people behind the Lanzarote pelagics can help you with a contact on Fuerteventura. You can reach them on [email protected]

André

If your interest extends beyond birds to other aspects of the environment then you may find the Crossbill Guide to the Canary Islands Vol 1 - Lanzarote &Fuerteventura useful (although I'm biased as I helped to edit the book).

This is a realy helpful book for all aspects of the islands. I bought it my husband when he went to Lanzarote and he found it very useful.

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply.

I do indeed mean a person to guide me around, I should have made that more clear. I have already purchased the Dave Gosney guide book and of course my Collins 'Bird guide' will be travelling with me!

Thanks again for your help.
If you can't find one then if you use the bird location guide books and a decent birdguide book and hire a car it is fairly straightforward.If you aren't hiring a car then you would need a guide with a car.

it's very easy to find your way around.
i'd never been before last december.
one trip and found every species you would want to.
barranco de la torre
will get you fuerteventura stone chat. spectacled warbler and trumpeter finch.
we found the swifts near here also, there's a retail center near the golf course just up the road. they were round there all day

look for salinas del carmen on google maps.
when you see the whale skeleton instead of going into the salinas, go straight past the front follow the track on till you get into a valley, park up and have a walk round.
tindaya plains will get you the sand grouse bustards and coursers.
drive through tindaya
and out the other side towards the coast, again check google maps for the small white roads which make an x just west of tindaya, head towards there early morning.

we also saw the vultures round montana de tindaya and round barranco de la torre and again in the mountains.
another place to consider is betancuria. for monarch butterflies and the blue tit local form

Thank you John, André, pratincol, Sandra and captaincarot for your helpful replies. I have noted all of the information given.

I am thinking maybe to hire a car and explore will be the way to go, however I have just emailed a couple of companies so I will see what they come back with. The idea was to have a restful break so to be ferried around for a days birding would be very welcome. I have noted the Crossbill guide you have mentioned John and I would certainly purchase the guide if we intend to return to the Canaries in the future.

Love to hear all about your adventures in Costa Calma. Pam. I will look out for your reports and photo's.

OH and I went to Playa Blanca in Lanzorote in 2007.
We went on a days boat trip out to Fuerteventura, and it was amazing due to the fact it was like a trip out to the Sahara desert with lots of sand, and more sand. What I remember most is the flying fish next to the boat - they where amazing.

Enjoy your trip. :t::gh:

Last edited:
Love to hear all about your adventures in Costa Calma. Pam. I will look out for your reports and photo's.

OH and I went to Playa Blanca in Lanzorote in 2007.
We went on a days boat trip out to Fuerteventura, and it was amazing due to the fact it was like a trip out to the Sahara desert with lots of sand, and more sand. What I remember most is the flying fish next to the boat - they where amazing.

Enjoy your trip. :t::gh:

Thanks Kathy, I am looking forward to this holiday and I now hope to see a few flying fish!:eek!:! :t:

Thanks Kathy, I am looking forward to this holiday and I now hope to see a few flying fish!:eek!:! :t:

The flying fish where amazing - just look outside the boat window. They love to fly and bounce along beside the boat to show off I think! :-O

Last edited:
Hi Pam,

Join the facebook group "Birds of the Canary Islands" to be up to date of what is going on. At www.reservoirbirds.com you would also find the latest rarity news.
This winter is being specially good for ducks around here (comparing to what we usually get). Ruddy shelduck numbers are incredibly high now.
There are yellow-browed warblers wintering at Costa Calma and Betancuria (at least, probably in many places more). Some days ago, a Brent goose was found near Jandia lighthouse (a very rare bird for the Canaries, but probably not so exotic for you :) ).
The local specialities are also around, of course.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Hi Pam,

Join the facebook group "Birds of the Canary Islands" to be up to date of what is going on. At www.reservoirbirds.com you would also find the latest rarity news.
This winter is being specially good for ducks around here (comparing to what we usually get). Ruddy shelduck numbers are incredibly high now.
There are yellow-browed warblers wintering at Costa Calma and Betancuria (at least, probably in many places more). Some days ago, a Brent goose was found near Jandia lighthouse (a very rare bird for the Canaries, but probably not so exotic for you :) ).
The local specialities are also around, of course.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Thank you very much for the information and good wishes Xabi, it is very much appreciated.
Yellow-browed Warblers elude me in the UK so it would be good to catch up with them during my holiday! Great news with the Brent Goose, I hope you caught up with it!

This is a realy helpful book for all aspects of the islands. I bought it my husband when he went to Lanzarote and he found it very useful.

Agree with these comments about Crossbill guides they are an excellent guide to the flora and fauna and a very interesting little read, although my guide book is Tenerife and la Gomera

Mark

Thank you John, André, pratincol, Sandra and captaincarot for your helpful replies. I have noted all of the information given.

I am thinking maybe to hire a car and explore will be the way to go, however I have just emailed a couple of companies so I will see what they come back with. The idea was to have a restful break so to be ferried around for a days birding would be very welcome. I have noted the Crossbill guide you have mentioned John and I would certainly purchase the guide if we intend to return to the Canaries in the future.

Hi there, Cicar are a decent car hire company, avoid Goldcar or it will cost you dearly.

Check observado.org, it is perhaps the best source of the current bird locations. Fuerteventura is a place one can easily do with a normal hired car and his own binoculars, without a guide. Also a free navigation app with the downloaded map of Spain should be sufficient in place of a paper map. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back