• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twites? Poland (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
This is mildly embarrassing, but I just can't figure out if those are indeed Twites. Seriously, what else could it be? But the pictures are bad enough that no mark seems to be solid enough ... Thanks!

Attachments

• _konopku.jpg
    _konopku.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 207
May well be Twite, but on these pics, pretty much unidentifiable. I'll give them a go in photoshop to see if they can be enhanced at all.

Some more info on exact location, habitat, etc., would help.

This is mildly embarrassing, but I just can't figure out if those are indeed Twites. Seriously, what else could it be? But the pictures are bad enough that no mark seems to be solid enough ... Thanks!

Did you note the bill colour?

Yellow on Twite...grey on Linnet.

Cheers

Did you hear them call, or notice anything about their bill colour in the field?

Ouch, I was hoping you guys will just look at the pictures and tell ... It was very early in twilight, so the light was very bad. The photos are however much better than anything I have seen with my eyes, the birds were just flying quickly pass me, with no sound heard (at least none over the loud wave action). It's on the Baltic coast, where at that time (late October) both Twite and Linnet is an option - however I fail to see any Linnet-like facial feature for even one bird, so I thought Twite. Is any other species an option?

There appears to be more white (or at least pale) feathering on the wings than I'd expect for Linnets. Not only is there the expected white on the primaries there appears to be pale edging to the greater coverts too, which I think is a bit more likely on Twite - and not something I've found on any Linnet flock photos in my own collection (unfortunately I lost my only Twite flock flight shots when a hard drive died a few years ago). Bill looks a wee bit shorter too.
Best pic I could find showing the white on wings on Twite in similar pose.
http://petermooreblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/beach-litter.html

Last edited:
Baltic coast would certainly favour Twite; they have a strong preference for saltmarsh and sparsely vegetated coastal habitats, with Linnets preferring farmland and scrub habitats.

OK, thanks then again, I will think about those more, but probably will try to hunt down another flock for a sure tick. There are several sites in Poland where they should be pretty regular in winter.

The habitat clue is not such a helpful one, I've already seen big flocks of Linnet in saltmarshes. However I'm pretty confident in saying that your pics show Twites indeed! The minuscule bill, the amount of white and the general structure and colours all point towards Twite

Maffong

At least second from left and uppermost-right birds have strong streaking on belly-side and broadish white great coverts and are Twite. I am not sure if some are not Linnets, though.

PS. In similar cases, enlarge your picture and adjust colors and contrast in Photoshop or a similar program. This often shows identification clues.

I see a lot of Twite and these look like Twite to me. I often get a very strong impression of white on the undersides on these late autumn / winter flocks.

The call should have been something of a give-away though.....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back