• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yungyang, Chong qing (1 Viewer)

shrek48

HI,

Just thought I might put a few thoughts here and whats happening in my area.
Birding for me in China is very different, started off in Guilin southern China and found people still actively netted birds to eat or sell. This made birding hard and sad.
Not many varieties in Guilin itself or in the surrounding countryside. Many sparrows and a few Kingfishers, but the birds were very skittish.

Now in Yungyang and it is a lot better here, not one net have I seen and no birds for sale in the streets or shops that I have seen. More variety here and I have had many firsts, which is exciting.
My main problem is people and noise, even if I drive 2 hours into the mountains there are people, noise, especially horns blowing. It is rare I can get any real peace to watch birds.
However saying that I have found a few places well off the beaten track and the people there are now used to me and scuffle past with a hello and leave me alone mostly.

Birds seen here are on my Flickr [email protected]
Red billed blue magpie, vinous throated parrotbill; speckled piculet; red flanked blue tail; blue whistling thrush; Laughing thrush in abundance, black throated tits; white eyes; Bubul's various; to name a few.

So many I am truly blessed here, hard work but very enjoyable. When I first came to China I was very despondent and struggled to see anything, but with patience and a lot of travelling I am finding my birding eye so to speak.

The one area I really struggle is ID, but thanks to great help and support from people here I get all the answers I need.
Happy birding ;-)

Shrek48,

Welcome to China birdforum and congrats on starting a thread! It's great that you have found a place that is quite birdy. Looking forward to hearing what you see and checking out your photos.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back