• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coombe Hill Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
The Coombe Hill Nature Reserve seems to be one of the county's best kept secrets.
As a newcomer to birding I have been there a few times this year and never seen anyone else.
It's a short trek over possibly muddy or wet fields to the hide but when you get there, there are excellent views over wetlands. I have seen the usual Mute Swans, Greylag, Shelduck, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coots etc., also Sedge Warblers, Lapwing, Whimbrel, Redshank, Herons and even Egrets.
The walk to the hide is along a defunct canal with trees and hedges where there are birds such as Wrens, Great Tits and Long-tailed Tits.
It's not quite up to Slimbridge, but for me it's a lot nearer.
Alan

Been there a few times, quite a nice little walk along the canal. In the winter the hide is sometimes inaccessible due to flooding (possibly in the summer as well if the rain doesn't stop). Usually a nice selection of birds and the occasional scarcity/semi rarity.

The Coombe Hill Nature Reserve seems to be one of the county's best kept secrets.

As a newcomer to birding I have been there a few times this year and never seen anyone else.
It's a short trek over possibly muddy or wet fields to the hide but when you get there, there are excellent views over wetlands. I have seen the usual Mute Swans, Greylag, Shelduck, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coots etc., also Sedge Warblers, Lapwing, Whimbrel, Redshank, Herons and even Egrets.
The walk to the hide is along a defunct canal with trees and hedges where there are birds such as Wrens, Great Tits and Long-tailed Tits.
It's not quite up to Slimbridge, but for me it's a lot nearer.
Alan
Just an update. Also seen at Coombe Hill in the last few months (mostly not by me!):
Canada Goose, Barnacle Goose, Teal, Shoveler, Little Grebe, Spoonbill, Great White Egret, Curlew, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Black-tailed Godwits, Snipe, Common Tern, Barn Owl, Peregrine, Stock Dove, Turtle Dove, Kingfisher, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Swallow, Sand Martin, Raven, Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap, Redstart, Wheatear, Yellow Wagtail, Reed Bunting .. and probably others I have missed..
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back