• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, Crete, Greece (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
Spotted this afternoon, When first seen it looked slightly smaller than a Common Buzzard had a lovely rufous tail from above and below, which was the first thing I noticed as it circled about half a mile away (hence the heat haze afftected pics) The tail looks to short for and Eleonoras Falcon and the wings too broad imo also the rufous tail colour I have not seen before, but then its molting. But would appreciate some input into this one please , I think its Eleonora's Falcon but it just did not look right at the time, maybe a trick of the light or my eyes !!!
Thanks
ColD
http://www.crete-birding.co.uk

Attachments

• IMG_1819.jpgfalcon_1.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpgfalcon_1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1823.jpgfalcon.jpg1_1.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpgfalcon.jpg1_1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1826.jpgfalcon_1.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpgfalcon_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1831.jpgfalcon_1.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpgfalcon_1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 153
Feathers of different ages (juv and older) show the bird has to be 2 cy. And it looks like an Eleonorae. Surprisingly misleading when one see the second picture (how broad-winged it looks)

I'm struggling with EF structure-wise - even though 1st year birds look thicker set - my first reaction was Lanner, build-wise

P4 moulting is very dark and much longer than juvenile primaries which is typical for Eleonora's, juv. indeed have a completely different wing shape.
Tom

I'm struggling with EF structure-wise - even though 1st year birds look thicker set - my first reaction was Lanner, build-wise

My thoughts initially, Lanner.... even now its still odd looking, but will go down as an Eleonora's.
Thanks everyone

ColD

P4 moulting is very dark and much longer than juvenile primaries which is typical for Eleonora's, juv. indeed have a completely different wing shape.
Tom

Looks good for Eleanora's when you consider the new feather - and its leangth.

Hijacking the thread slightly - what does anyone make of this

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=284217&d=1284760466

As for that, Jane, it looks like a falconer's hybrid.(Lanner/Gyr??)

It was a small bird that looked whippy-winged and very long tailed in flight most like a long-wined Merlin shape and jizz wise (at sea off here last Sept).

Peregrine is the default solution, but it didn't really seem right.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back