• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar sp. Abu Dhabi (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Calling Emirates birders..
Saw two or three Nightjar (sp) from the moving plane at Abu Dhabi airport on 16th October. The plane was putting them up from the taxiway. Generally devoid of any vegetation.
The possibilties would appear to be European & Egyptian (?). Obviously utvs from the window at night but which would be the more likely please?
Halftwo

There are three species of Nightjars occur in the UAE, the current list of UAE which is available from tommypedersen.com states:

European Nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus
No subspecies positively identified in the UAE.
C. e. europaeus, C. e. unwini, C. e. sarudnyi, C. e. plumipes, C. e. meridionalis and C. e. dementievi are all likely subspecies to occur.
Fairly common to common migrant from mid-April to May with records from June, and from September to early November. Rare during winter.
Likely sites: Emirates Golf Club, Khor Kalba, Ruwais, Jebel Dhanna, Al Wathba Camel Racetrack.

Egyptian Nightjar Caprimulgus aegyptius
C. a. aegyptius most likely to occur.
Fairly common to common migrant and winter visitor from September to early May.
Likely sites: Al Wathba Camel Racetrack, Lahbab Fields, Dubai Pivot Fields, Ra’s al-Khaimah Golf Course.

Sykes’s Nightjar Caprimulgus mahrattensis
Rare, might be an overlooked winter visitor.
Known records; one Dubai Pivot Fields 04.02.2001, one Al Wathba Camel Racetrack 09.-28.02.2001, one Al Wathba Camel Racetrack 26.01. - 06.03.2005.

From the above it would be impossible to say which species you did see, although Sykes's is the smallest, only c. 3-4cm shoter.

Alsirhan

Halftwo, from the Emirates Bird Report 1995-2000:

European Nightjar - Regular passage migrant, generally mid-April to May and September to November. Rare in winter.

Egyptian Nightjar - Rare passage migrant and winter visitor, reported September to April.

Although it doesn't id your birds, it does point to them being European rather than Egyptian (which appear to peak in winter-early spring judging from the report). Hope this helps a little.

P.s I've spent a few fruitless nights missing Egyptian Nightjar in the Emirates!

Hi Halftwo,

Gypos should arrive about now (there's been a few in Oman) but I don't think any have been seen in the UAE yet, a few Euros have been seen though. Probably all Euros.

Alsirhan, Fair Islander,
Thanks for that, I had read some of the quoted stuff, but none of the place names mean anything to me, and I can't see any mention of the airport. Does habitat make any difference to the likelyhood of one or another on passage?
Halftwo

Gashead said:
I'll leave the other two to answer then ;)

Gashead,
Sorry I was posting at the same time as you, thanks to you too; so you reckon mid Oct is more likely for Euro.? Any thoughts on habitat?
Halftwo

They are both just as likely to turn up at the airport esp. on migration but we don't bird the area for obvious reasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back