• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawthorn Dene (1 Viewer)

IanF

I had my second visit of the week to this location but struck out again on locating any Green Woodpeckers.

Last Wednesday we had a trip up there and did the walk through the Durham Wildlife Trust Hawthorn Dene wood. There were plenty of the usual woodland birds about and loads of Woodpecker bored trees but no sign of them in the flesh - not even a call.

Today I returned alone to complete the walk down to the dene mouth itself. Quite a few birders and walkers about too. It was a bit of a dull Grey overcast morning but it was still nice to be out in the open air. Really there wasn't much of note on the route to the coast, but once there things picked up with a pair of Grey Wagtails on the beach and then a Stonechat singing it's heart out.

Stonechat

Stonechat (2)

Robins and Crows were the only other birds by the beach so I headed back via the steps up the cliff which lead towards the quarry where I'd been told Green Woodpeckers were always heard - but not today! All I saw were a few pigeons and two Kestrels.

After passing the quarry and entering the woods again I soon came across the birds again being greeted almost at once with a pair of obviously courting Great Spotted Woodpeckers. A few yards on were Treecreepers and a family of around a dozen Long-tailed Tits. A few more yards and I spotted a flock of 50+ linnet which were soon joined by 20+ Goldfinches and the odd Yellowhammer.

Linnet

Part of the flock

More long-tailed Tits turned up but I could only manage a very poor photo as they were just too active an just when they were a few yards away the batteries went flat. By the time I got them changed, the birds had moved on. In the same field though were half a dozen Partridge.

All in all despite the weather it was a good couple of hours birding and a location that I will be returning to.

Attachments

• Picture 263a_filteredo.jpg
    Picture 263a_filteredo.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture 133ao.jpg
    Picture 133ao.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Ian,thankyou,for the story and pics,especially the stonechats ,they are one of my favourite birds,little chocolate velvety heads,perching atop a gorse branch.
But can I just ask,I keep seeing photos of birds on the Forum where the bird seems to be a silhouette agains,t a white background,how is it done?

Hi Ian
I much prefer Hawthorn Dene to Castle Eden, there an absolute abundance of standing deadwood, with some huge declining Elm trees on the south side.

Your info on the Yaffle is correct, that is the best area to get a view of them. The quarry edge near the wood/meadow & steep steps down to the Hive/'beach' are were ive most often seen/heard them.

The 'beach' is getting better now. There must be 3 to 4 metres depth of pit waste cleared off by the sea, since the tipping ceased.
Over the past few months ive seen Heron, Curlew, Turnstone,Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Teal & Mallard all use it.
Years ago they didnt even bother landing there.
Offshore is getting better too with C & V Scoters, Goleneye, Merganser occassionaly seen.

I would say Hawthorn was the best site in the county for Marsh tit with Willow being regular too.

Ps.Hope you catch up with the Green Woodpecker soon. ;)

PPS. please send me grid ref or more precise details of the singing Stchat.

StevieE.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification on the locations. I'll wait a month and then have a trip back there for another look. At Castle Eden I at least heard a couple of Yaffle! Crimdon Dene was very good for Marsh Tit too.

It was a little disappointing not to find any waders at all and nothing on the sea, but it does happen.

The Stonechat was right on the beach itself in the only patch of low bushes on the beach. They are about 40 yards north of the steps actually on the grey colliery material. Even when disturbed it kept returning to the same patch of bushes, sitting on top singing and flying up to catch the occasional bug.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back