• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to NE in januari 2012 (1 Viewer)

PeterBird

Netherlands
The thread about safari over Christmas got me a little worried (I posted this message before as a reply to that thread, which was not the cleverest thing to do, I suppose ;). We are contemplating a trip to South Afria (Wakkerstroom, St Lucia, Kruger) in January 2012. We don't have a real option to go in another season, but perhaps we could shift our time of departure within that month. We had thought leaving on 2nd or 3rd and stay for 3 weeks. Would it be more advisable to go a week or so later? Thanks for any advice,
Peter

The thread about safari over Christmas got me a little worried (I posted this message before as a reply to that thread, which was not the cleverest thing to do, I suppose ;). We are contemplating a trip to South Afria (Wakkerstroom, St Lucia, Kruger) in January 2012. We don't have a real option to go in another season, but perhaps we could shift our time of departure within that month. We had thought leaving on 2nd or 3rd and stay for 3 weeks. Would it be more advisable to go a week or so later? Thanks for any advice,
Peter

Peter, the main holidays in South Africa are the Christmas holidays, when the kids are out of school for the longest of their vacations. During this time accommodation is not only at a premium, but prices are also considerably higher. For obvious reasons, people with school-going children often book up a year in advance, so finding accommodation could be difficult. According to my information, schools in the coastal provinces (Kwa-Zulu/Natal, Eastern Cape, Western Cape, Northern Cape) re-open on 11th January 2012, and schools in inland provinces (Free State, Gauteng, North West, Limpopo, Mpumalanga) on 18th January. You would be better to postpone your visit until after the 18th January.
Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
Dave

Thank you very much for your reply, Dave. That is very useful information. We will certainly try and postpone our visit till after the 18th. This also depends on our fellow- travellers, but we'll be sure to pass on your suggestion.
Kind regards
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back