• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on the 10x30 IS (1 Viewer)

I would think that the Canon 15×50 IS is one of the best binoculars made, assuming that you get one that is optically and mechanically as it should be.
It is good for astronomy and terrestrial work.
It has a wide apparent field, very good star images and can out resolve standard binoculars handheld.

I use the 18×50 as I prefer the higher magnification.

I may occasionally have had the problem, where the image stabilisation did not switch off, and I think this may have been several years ago. It may be something to do with the switch, or the way the switch is depressed.
But if it never switches itself off, this is a slight fault, but as long as you know about it then you just switch it off manually.

Someone asked me about the details of diopter adjustment of Canon IS 10x30. So I will post some pics here.
1st pic: this fix works for IS version II. I am not sure about the other models.
2nd pic: remove the eyecup (both left and right eye can do the same), you can see a pin holding the eyepiece.
3rd pic: press two flat head drivers in opposite direction of the pin.
4th pic: tweak the drivers up, and repeat a few times. The pin is lifted. Now the eyepiece can be screwed off.
5th pic: you can see there are a number of positions for the pin to settle. Screw the eyepiece down until you find a depth best suit your diopter. Press the pin down to the nearest hole. Done.

Hope this help.

Attachments

• IMG_5947.JPG
    IMG_5947.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5948.jpg
    IMG_5948.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5949.JPG
    IMG_5949.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5950.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5951.JPG
    IMG_5951.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 126
I just picked up a pair second hand for $80 in like new condition! Binocular quality on first impression is very good. The IS works well too.

I see some CA compared to my other alphas, but very good find none the less.

These will probably be a gift for someone as I have more glass than I can use right now, but couldn't pass up the deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back