• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

link to porro vs roof threads (1 Viewer)

rjwims

Certified newbie
link to porro vs roof threads...need help choosing 2nd bin

Can someone point me to a good thread explaining the differences especially in the newly released bins.

I have been searching a lot, but most threads seem to be several years old.

I am currently using a cheapo pair of Nikon action 7x35's but am interested in the ZEN 8x43's

Just looking for some explanations of things like 3d effect, dof and image quality etc.

Thanks

Richard

Last edited:
Richard,

You should be able to find some good info over on the Eagle Optics website. They have basic and more advanced info on binocular design.

Issues such as DOF have been fairly hotly debated here on the forums. In some cases the discussion can get quite technical.

Though some might disagree what I think some general "truisms" of porros vs. roofs would include.....

1. At any given price point a porro prism binocular produces better image quality versus a roof. To put it simply the porro prism design is easier to manufacturer and just simpler overall so there is less than can "go wrong" with it.

2. In general most roofs are slightly more durable than similarly priced porros. There are some exceptions though.

3. Roofs are easier to waterproof (again with one or two exceptions) because of the internal focus design.

4. The porros I have in my possesion have better depth of field in comparison to similarly price roofs.

5. The porros have better 3D effect because the objective lenses are further spaced apart.

Lastly, those Nikon Action 7x35 are a wonderful inexpensive binocular. They are a bit bulkier and heavier than something like a Leupold Yosemite 6 or 8x30...and their eye relief is a bit on the short side for me (an unfortunate side effect of their particular wide field of view eyepiece design) but otherwise they are an excellent choice.

Hope this helps.

Richard,

You should be able to find some good info over on the Eagle Optics website. They have basic and more advanced info on binocular design.

Issues such as DOF have been fairly hotly debated here on the forums. In some cases the discussion can get quite technical.

Though some might disagree what I think some general "truisms" of porros vs. roofs would include.....

1. At any given price point a porro prism binocular produces better image quality versus a roof. To put it simply the porro prism design is easier to manufacturer and just simpler overall so there is less than can "go wrong" with it.

2. In general most roofs are slightly more durable than similarly priced porros. There are some exceptions though.

3. Roofs are easier to waterproof (again with one or two exceptions) because of the internal focus design.

4. The porros I have in my possesion have better depth of field in comparison to similarly price roofs.

5. The porros have better 3D effect because the objective lenses are further spaced apart.

Lastly, those Nikon Action 7x35 are a wonderful inexpensive binocular. They are a bit bulkier and heavier than something like a Leupold Yosemite 6 or 8x30...and their eye relief is a bit on the short side for me (an unfortunate side effect of their particular wide field of view eyepiece design) but otherwise they are an excellent choice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Frank

I was going to spring for the Leupold yosemite 6's, as a first bin, in that they ar much lighter and ith slightly less zoom, I thought that they would be easier on my old eyes , at least in the beginning.

Not having any roofs to compare with, i can only say the following (which seems to agree with your coments on porros)

1) I do notice a pleasant 3d effect.

2) The wide fov is a welcome feature to me as a novice. A 10x with 6 degree fov would be hell on my eyes at my level, but I suppose it all just takes getting used to. (Which is why I was going to start with the Leupold 6's.

3) DOF does seem decent, in that objects at varying distances seem to be either in focus or very close. I can only compare to some camera equipment at this point)

I guess that my next question is this...

I don't intend on going on any long winded hikes, etc in the near future, just watching local birds and maybe some short trips in my area to find and view raptors.

So I don't know if durability or waterproofing would be on the top of my list of features.

I would like probably like to get an 8x with better image quality

I can afford the <$200 ZRS and probably the ZEN, but would also consider a higher quality porro, if image quality/ price would be similar.

With that said, what does $200 to $400 buy me in a porro bin or does noting touch the ZEN as far as image quality goes?

If I am missing the boat, please let me know.

Thanks

RIchard

Richard,

I am going to leave that question up to others. The Zen ED is easily my favorite bin optically under $500 and one of my top two favorites under $1000.

I have owned the Nikon SEs and E IIs but not the Audubon EDs so I cannot comment on the latter. Both of the previous two porros might have slightly better image quality than the Zen ED in certain areas but you do give up waterproofing and ergonomics. Personally I prefer a larger exit pupil for pure comfort so I am going to choose an 8x42 or 7x42 over an 8x30-32 any day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back