• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80-200mm f 2.8 plus tc for BIF any good? (1 Viewer)

fender

Hi all, I would appreciate help and advice please;

I am wondering if the older Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens would be good for Bif's and if so what T.C. would be best with it.

Ideally i would buy the newer 70-200mm f2.8 if suitable, but with a budget of £1000 i realize i cant.

Not sure if it's OK to mention in this forum that i had been considering the new Sigma 50-55mm DG OS HSM?...but i am keen to get a lens/lens plus t.c.combo that will give me the best I.Q. and reach for wildlife and bif's and something with a decent speed a/focus.

I will be using this with my Nikon D300.

Regards Phil.

A 300/4 af-s would be better and would be slightly longer than the zoom plus a tc. As for tc's the best choice would be a nikon tc14e either mk 1 or 2.

Then with a 300/4 if you get a tc14 you'll have a very nice 420/5.6 which is an excellent combination on a D300.
Check out mifsuds used listings and such like to see if you can save a bit. Both 300 lens and tc should be achievable under £1000

One on eBay at the mo for less than £500 and 3 hrs to go, worth watching to see what they make.

Last edited:
Duke said it all.... Just got this liitle beauty this morning... 300f4 and 1.4TC mounted on a D90. Cant go wrong, and its nice and lite for walkabout....

Good luck

Attachments

• rameron in flight.jpg
    rameron in flight.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for that guys,sounds a good set-up.Just one thing though...i have read that some folk have had a/f issues with this combo and wondered how widespread this is?

Also when i contacted Mifsuds they said that it would only be manually compatible with a tc! perhaps they mean when a 2x t.c. is used? I have mailed them to ask but not heard yet.

What do you chaps think of the newer Sigma 50-500mm OS in comparison to your suggestions

Phil

Lol doesn't sound like Mifsuds, no issue with a 300/4 and 1.4 tc I suppose if you need convincing apart from the members who use it just check on nikons website, you'll find no issue. I would like however to see those things you've read.
I use my 300/4 happily with a 1.4 and 1.7 tc although in poor light or low contrast the af may not be as quick as one would hope with the 1.7
As for a zoom of that range I have no idea but would doubt it's capabilities against a prime with or without a 1.4tc, what minimum aperture at 500 is it 6.3? You get 510 at 6.3 with a 1.7tc
I've no doubt the sigma is a worthy lens but your question on this thread related to bif shots and you have had answers.
I would suggest that you try before you buy, see if theres a nikon dealer near you such as Clifton cameras and give em a go

Lol doesn't sound like Mifsuds, no issue with a 300/4 and 1.4 tc I suppose if you need convincing apart from the members who use it just check on nikons website, you'll find no issue. I would like however to see those things you've read.
I use my 300/4 happily with a 1.4 and 1.7 tc although in poor light or low contrast the af may not be as quick as one would hope with the 1.7
As for a zoom of that range I have no idea but would doubt it's capabilities against a prime with or without a 1.4tc, what minimum aperture at 500 is it 6.3? You get 510 at 6.3 with a 1.7tc
I've no doubt the sigma is a worthy lens but your question on this thread related to bif shots and you have had answers.
I would suggest that you try before you buy, see if theres a nikon dealer near you such as Clifton cameras and give em a go

Thanks for that Duke, I'm sure the 300/4 is a fine lens...will check it out before i buy. I read about the issues whilst browsing lens reviews...looked at a good many, but once i find exactly where i will put up the links.

Phil.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back