• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bundle? D50 (1 Viewer)

Des!

After a bit more surfing & listening to recomendations I'm looking at the D50 for starters.

However there's a number of bundles available. Out of the 2 below which would be the best option?

NIKON D50 (BLACK) + 18-55mm LENS + SIGMA 70-300mm

Nikon D50 Black + 18-55mm Lens + 55-200mm Lens

Thanks once again!! :-O

Des

Des! said:
After a bit more surfing & listening to recomendations I'm looking at the D50 for starters.

However there's a number of bundles available. Out of the 2 below which would be the best option?

NIKON D50 (BLACK) + 18-55mm LENS + SIGMA 70-300mm

Nikon D50 Black + 18-55mm Lens + 55-200mm Lens

Thanks once again!! :-O

Des

As you're on a birding forum I assume you're more interested in the long end of the zoom than the short. Sigma make a good 70-300mm - the best one has APO in it's name. Personally - unless the kit price is ridiculously low - I'd go body only and buy a lens seperately. A good budget buy is the Tamron 28-300mm xr di at around £200 - I used one myself and know several people who also use one. A very good all round starter lens - until you succumb to the affliction we all have of 'must have a better lens' syndrome!

greypoint said:
As you're on a birding forum I assume you're more interested in the long end of the zoom than the short. Sigma make a good 70-300mm - the best one has APO in it's name. Personally - unless the kit price is ridiculously low - I'd go body only and buy a lens seperately. A good budget buy is the Tamron 28-300mm xr di at around £200 - I used one myself and know several people who also use one. A very good all round starter lens - until you succumb to the affliction we all have of 'must have a better lens' syndrome!

Ridiculously low - ? - £499 - Good or Bad?

greypoint said:
D50 body seems to be around the £325 mark so it's good but not ridiculously cheap!Especially if it's the non APO sigma.

OK - Trying to put something together from listening to peoples comments. How does this sound for starting off:

Nikon D50 Body
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AFD

& When I can save abit more:

Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Nikon AFD

Thoughts / Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Des

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back