• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new version of the D40, the D40x! (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Looking through warehouseexpress I saw that they have a new camera, the Nikon D40x, which has similar specs to the D80 but is a bit pricier and not having a clue about such things I would like my curiosity satisfied as to on paper which one has the edge?

Thanks.
Jaff

I find Nikon's "big announcement" underwhelming. It shows (again) the company's unwavering dedication to the low-end, mass market. A slightly upgraded low-end DSLR and a 55-200mm. VR kit-type zoom? Whoopee.

bkrownd said:
Does it still lack an autofocus motor?

It will only autofocus with lenses that have built-in motors. I guess they want to keep costs down to a bare minimum. It makes sense to compete on price in the low end of the market.

Jaff said:
Looking through warehouseexpress I saw that they have a new camera, the Nikon D40x, which has similar specs to the D80 but is a bit pricier and not having a clue about such things I would like my curiosity satisfied as to on paper which one has the edge?

Thanks.
Jaff

I think the D80 takes compact flash, the D40x takes SD cards. The D40x will be smaller, and has no autofocus motor so will not auto-focus with the older screw driver lenses. It also lacks a top LCD, and uses the rear panel to view shooting data. I would guess that the image quality is very similar if not identical. There might be a difference in the viewfinder too as the D80 is said to have a very good one for the price. I would have thought the D80 was the better camera. But like all of these things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Doug Greenberg said:
I find Nikon's "big announcement" underwhelming. It shows (again) the company's unwavering dedication to the low-end, mass market. A slightly upgraded low-end DSLR and a 55-200mm. VR kit-type zoom? Whoopee.

I suspect Nikon's Strategy is hook as many low end buyers as possible and hope they remain loyal as they move up. May or may not work. The bottom line for them is profit. It would be nice to see some of that profit invested in upgrading the high end line.

Sorry I slipped up a bit. The D40x isn't more expensive than the D80, the price I saw on warehouse included the 18-55mm lens and was £599. A D80 on there, body only is £530. Don't know what the D40x body only price is but I'd guess at £450 if you take away the value of the lens.

Is the 400D the Daddy of starter DSLR's then? Looking at some other sites the D80 is tipped at being slightly better than the 400D so I suppose I've answered my own question. ;)

Jaff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back