• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which head for a Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I have a Nikon ED50 angled scope which I use for digiscoping. I currently use an Opticron 42704 tripod which has the standard 42700 head. The tripod works well and is not too heavy but sometimes after I centre the focusing target on the bird it moves a fraction when I let go of the scope to use the timer. It would also benefit from a sliding QR plate.

I used a Velbon FHD-51Q head when I was trying out new eyepieces at Cley Spy and was very impressed with it in use. It looked very good value, incorporated a sliding QR plate and I was able to let go of the scope without clamping it and it didn't appear to move. I asked for people's experiences of the head here but received no replies, so I wonder if there is a problem with it. It appears Cley Spy no longer list it on their website.

The other head which looks a distinct possibility is the Manfrotto 701-RC2. Alternatively would the 128 be up to the job? The 501 looks really good but is twice as heavy as the scope itself which seems a bit pointless.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? Unfortunately cost is an issue as it would be a present.

Ron

Last edited:
Have you considered 700RC? Lighter and cheaper, it could be enough for the small ED50 (but if you are going to upgrade or use another bigger scope it will not be appropiated). The 501 is bigger and heavier than the scope, jajajja

But if the Velbon worked well... why not?

Have you considered 700RC? Lighter and cheaper, it could be enough for the small ED50 (but if you are going to upgrade or use another bigger scope it will not be appropiated). The 501 is bigger and heavier than the scope, jajajja

But if the Velbon worked well... why not?

I'm not sure if the 700RC includes a sliding plate? I found a thread on here where someone had bought the Velbon and initially gave it rave reviews. He later posted that it had broken and that is the only comments on the Velbon I have found. It might have been a one off problem though.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back