• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light and compact spotting scope (1 Viewer)

MBS

Hello,

I am looking for un small monocular, that I can put in my backpack and carry on while doing long walks in wilderness.

So, I need a very light and compact model (60 mm or less in diameter, with a magnification up to about x 30 to x 40, and no more) but with a minimal optical quality, being waterproof, and not too expensive.

I have briefly tried a Buschnell sentry model, but in the store, under artificial light, and this is not the best situation.

So I ask your opinion about the Buschnell sentry (sold about 230 euros in Europe).

Is this a really good spotting scope, and the sentry itself is it a good choice?

There is also the spotmaster models, so are they possible alternative (if they are not too long, heavy, and more expensive, compared with sentry model)?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advices.

I'm afraid I don't know the Bushnell. But I have a scope called the Kowa TS501 that's cheap and good quality. Very light, very compact, I carry it in my jacket pocket sometimes. It costs about 189 euro. It has a 20x eyepiece, but if you check the websites of dealers like Acecameras, I think you'll find it's available with alternative eyepieces. Good luck!

I'm afraid I don't know the Bushnell. But I have a scope called the Kowa TS501 that's cheap and good quality. Very light, very compact, I carry it in my jacket pocket sometimes. It costs about 189 euro. It has a 20x eyepiece, but if you check the websites of dealers like Acecameras, I think you'll find it's available with alternative eyepieces. Good luck!

Hi,

Indeed, the TS501 looks like an interesting choice, and it deserves consideration.

P.S. : I agree with your text about bicycle !

Best Regards.

Hi,

Its seems that my choice will be between the following items:

Kowa TS501
Bushnell Sentry
Bushnell Sportmaster

Except if somebody propose me an "outsider" spotting scope, also dealing with my criterions?

Other question to everybody: your advice to choose between the three models cited, please.

Best Regards.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from whichever you choose. Let us know! One caveat...the TS501 is very user-friendly, light, good colour rendition, bright, etc., but it (at least my unit) gives quite a lot of flare in sunlight.

Light and cheap does not usually produce a useful scope. The best beginner scopes are the rather heavy ones. /QUOTE]

This perhaps used to be true, but I would expect modern light and cheap models from Opticron, Kowa and Minox etc to offer views which are by anyone's standards 'sharp, bright and clear', judging by the many reviews on this forum. Perhaps not quite upto the Nikon ED50 standard, but useful and value for money nonetheless.

I have the Kowa 504, an ED scope with built in 15-30X zoom eyepiece. It's very light and small. Not waterproof though, AFAIK the only one that is in this size is the Nikon 50mm one which naturally is the most expensive.

Kowa also make 60mm scopes (the 601-604 series) that are very light and waterproof but not especially cheap either.

You might take a look at the Leupold Gold Ring Compact spotting scopes. They have a 10-20x40 and a 15-30x50 model. I owned the smaller of the two and it was quite nice. I would take either one over any of the mentioned Bushnells or the Nikon Prostaff. (I haven't seen the Minox or the Kowa.) Sure, these may not be quite as nice optically as the Nikon ED50 but, they also don't cost near as much. They are however, waterproof, fogproof, and covered by the unbeatable Leupold warranty.

Hello,

Thank you for all your advices.

According to my seller:

The Kowa TS501 is not interesting, because it is not waterproof, and its optical quality is only fair.

The Bushnell Sentry is not enough sturdy for rough outdoor use.

The Vanguards models aren't good choices.

And, in the end he considers that the best choice, for me, could be the Bushnell Trophy (50 mm model).

Well, its zoom is a x 25 to x 50, too much magnification power for the diameter in my opinion (particulary from x 35 or x 40 and up to x 50).

In fact, I don't like very much zoom and I prefer a good wide field eyepiece, with a magnification power not above x 40.

Why this choice?

Because, after hours of observation (binoculars as well than low cost monoculars), I noted that with magnification above x 40 :

The view is rather dark (even in daylight, in summer), its lacks contrast and definition (with objective diameters between 50 mm and 70 mm, and no ED lens).

Moreover, when the weather is hot, the turbulence blurs the image to the extent it is better to withdraw to a lower magnification.

For the record, in Europe, the Bushnell Sentry costs 229,00 euros ; the Bushnell Trophy (50 mm) 349,00 euros ; The TS 501 235,00 euros.

To convert in US$, multiply by x 1.2.

Best Regards.

Hello,

Well, after a thorough search, it seems that sturdy and waterproof 50 mm scopes, fitted with a wide angle ocular (in the x 25 - x 35 range) instead of a zoom, for a price below about 500 euros, are not common models.

By

Hello,

Well, after a thorough search, it seems that sturdy and waterproof 50 mm scopes, fitted with a wide angle ocular (in the x 25 - x 35 range) instead of a zoom, for a price below about 500 euros, are not common models.

By

Have you considered getting a 60mm Nikon FieldscopeIII, either ED or not, or the ED50? The 60 mm scope is actually quite compact and it can thus be carried while hiking without too much of a problem. Because it has been on the market for some time, you might be able to find it at a good price. Probably considerably cheaper than the ED50. And there is no question about it being waterproof, sturdy and providing excellent views. It also provides a brighter picture than the 50mm scopes. Nikon has excellent WA eyepieces. It's only the zooms that have a very narrow FOV, and you are not considering those anyway. One problem with Nikon these days is that you often get their scopes only together with a zoom eyepiece. But you might also consider getting a used one if you can check it before you buy. Though there might not be a large market locally for that.

Last edited:
Hi Swissboy,

And thank you for your advice.

I am going to look at the Nikon models you are recommanding me.

It is a fact that as often as not a scope is now sold "zoom included", instead of only the "tube", allowing you to choose what you want with.

Best Regards

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from whichever you choose. Let us know! One caveat...the TS501 is very user-friendly, light, good colour rendition, bright, etc., but it (at least my unit) gives quite a lot of flare in sunlight.

Hi,
Cant that flare be reduced by a homemade sunshade? (cant recall its name).
Or is the flare caused by internal reflelctions?
How is long range sharpness + is it hard to finefocus?
Thankyou
Carsten

Hello,
An interesting model, but with a zoom instead of a WA eyepiece.
And I am not sure it is possible to switch from zoom to eyepiece...
By

The scope in question in the photo is the Nikon 50ED, which was recommended previously, so I take it from your response you haven't looked at it yet. The eyepiece is indeed interchangeable. The optical performance is the best you'll find, but the price is higher than what you initially suggested was your limit.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back