• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barred from shopping at Grays of Westminster (1 Viewer)

Ian Hardy

I complained to the above about a faulty camera and was told yesterday to take my business elsewhere, they informed me that there is no profit in selling D300s. And they lose out financially as Nikon do not replace the faulty cameras.

Ian

I complained to the above about a faulty camera and was told yesterday to take my business elsewhere, they informed me that there is no profit in selling D300s. And they lose out financially as Nikon do not replace the faulty cameras.

Ian

Is it me or do you seem to have a problem with quite a few retailers ?

Hi Rioja,

This is the first problem i have had with Grays and i have spent thousands with them over a good number of years.

Ian

If there was a fault on the camera when you bought it then they are obliged to replace it - if it has developed over time then you may well need to deal directly with Nikon. The onlger you've had it the less likely they are to replace it, it would more likely be a repair job. I can well beleive that there is little or no profit on these cameras, I know the margins in high end optics are amazingly low.

you've always got the sale of goods act to fall on, but remind me did Nikon swap you're lens for a new shiny 400/2.8 vr as the lens was faulty or was the lens and body faulty which would be bad by anyone's standards

Hi Steve and Postcard cv,

Nikon changed the lens for me, but Grays of Westminster are going to refund me the price paid by me for the D300 in May, and want me to get my Nikon equipment from another supplier.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
By refunding you for the faulty item they are fulfilling their obligations, I obviously don't know why they've asked you to buy from elsewhere but as a retailer they are within their rights to refuse to serve a customer. I guess with the D300s on the way out soon the D300 will come down in price so you might end up saving yourself a bit in the long run.

Is it possible that you had already returned a D300 previously for exchange and that this case is a second proposed return? It is not unknown for retailers to prefer a refund to continued returns as any returned item which cannot be refunded by a manufacturer becomes a secondand piece to be sold at a considerable loss. I am not sure of the background but it may explain the bar.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back