• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A little help (1 Viewer)

GingerRoss

Hello there

I'm looking into getting a second hand camera for travelling to the jungle for six weeks in Borneo with the orang-utans. But I can't miss the opportunity to get some great pictures of the birds.
I've got a couple of Nikon lenses but not sure which camera to get, I want to spend about £150.
My brother has suggested maybe D90 or D70 instead of maybe The D3 200.

But I hope someone can help me along with my decision.
I know very little about cameras so have no idea about shooting in the jungle conditions.

Thanks

GingerRoss

Hi Ginger and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Nikon camera forum - I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you. I also subscribed you to this thread so you can easily keep track of it.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

The only thing i can say is although outdated the D200 has a great sensor but and its a big but, i think it has a reputation for being heavy on battery's

The only thing i can say is although outdated the D200 has a great sensor but and its a big but, i think it has a reputation for being heavy on battery's

I've got a D200. Big, heavy, not quite up-to-date as far as the resolution is concerned. BUT it's pretty cheap used, and it's a pretty tough, semi-professional body, with excellent reliability. Get a second battery, I find I get about 400-500 pictures with one. If you only shoot jpg (I shoot RAW and jpg) the battery lasts longer. It's also a camera you've got to get familiar with, it's got (like all professional and semi-professional cameras) many options.

Hermann

The D90 would be ok if you could get one at the right price.
You need at least a 300 mm lens for birds. If you don't have the right lenses for birds you might be better off with a Canon SX50/60 HS.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back