• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of D70 questions, if I may... (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder

Watch the birdie...
Afternoon all,

I'm pretty much settled on the idea of buying a D70 (and finally swayed by Andy Rouse's review on Warehouse Express - and he's a Canon man).

I'll be aiming to get a longer zoom as soon as I can, but in the meantime will be happy enough using a shorter lens while getting used to the camera.

There are two kits available - one with an 18-70mm DX lens, and a cheaper package with the 28-80mm G lens.

The latter kit is cheaper by quite a bit, presumably because it's not such a good lens (I believe the 18-70 has ED glass elements).

Q1 Would I be disadvantaging myself significantly for "general" shooting by going for the cheaper kit?

I notice that Pixmania's price are much smaller than pretty much anyone elses, but that they sell "European" rather than "UK" spec kit.

Q2 Aside from a different plug and possibly a manual in a language other than English, is there any real difference in the Euro kit?

Pixmania give an additional 1 year warranty for free (2 year's guarantee in total) so that doesn't seem to be a major problem, and I've bought smaller stuff from Pixmania before without problems.

If the consensus is that getting the camera from Pixmania isn't going to hurt, it puts another kit - this time with the 28-80mm and a 70-300mm lens - within reach (£682) which would suit me fine I expect, and they do a "buy now, pay in 12 months" option as well...

Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited:
Afternoon, Keith,
I suspect the majority of the difference is that the Pixmania offering may not qualify for the cashback offer... I might be wrong.

I bought mine (with 18-70) from Warehouse Express- I personally prefer their delivery arrangements and returns policy in case of problems.

Now then, the lenses; the 18-70 really is excellent with a handy 28-105 equivalent, and that's not just my opinion- most reviewers like it as well. The other, I can't comment on.

I have now bought a 70-300D ED; much maligned for the ED element being irrelevent and also for being variable in performance. All I can say is - mine's alright and I like it. The cheaper kit version 'may' have similar optics. (So Ken Rockwell of Nikonians fame says).

The effective 450mm is still a bit lacking, so I might try a 1.4x, not good enough quality for some; but it's a relatively cheap option until I can afford a more exotic solution.

Just be aware that the kit lenses may have plastic mounts; this may or may not bother you and I'm sure someone will pull me up if I'm wrong.

You'll not regret the D70; I was tempted to buy my mate's D60, but glad I went with the Nikon, it just feels, well, right somehow.

Dave

Hi Chris,

yeah, I must admit I can't fault Warehouse Express myself.

The 18-70 is looking better and better, I have to say...

Interesting point about the cashback: maybe it only applies to UK stock - I'll check that out (though if I CAN claim it, it makes the Pixmania price even more attractive, and it's really the 70-300 that is the main attraction).

Added: you're dead right - the cashback wouldn't apply to stock from Pixmania...

If you go down the 1.4x tc route, be sure to post some pictures.

I'm very grateful for your other advice too - much for me to think about.

Last edited:
I have the d70 and 18-70 kit lense, and I really cannot fault it, I also bought a 70-300G lense from a Canadian company, and I am pleased with it, I have used it to take pictures of the birdies, and in normal light it is fine, although the af motors are noisier than the more expensive lenses,..I quite like the lense, if you want some full resolution pictures take with the 300G, I can email you some, in the meantime be careful because some D70 kits that are not UK sourced do not qualify for the cashback offer.

drat, beaten to it by faster typers!! lol

Last edited:
Thanks Paul - I'd love to see the pics from the 300G - when you have a mo, I'm at [email protected].

And I'm decided, I think - the 18-70 lens wins (Warehouse Express, I reckon), and I'll get the longer zoom later.

Last edited:
;)

Oh if I ever ask, it's because I really need it, Chris.

Mind you, I'm now starting to wonder about traipsing into Newcastle tomorrow and flexing my credit card - dunno if I can wait!

Kieth, I am sending you 2 emails, the first one has two cropped images, and the second email has 2 shots that have had no cropping etc(just straight out of the camera), if you check the exif data, you will see that they are all taken recently with the D70 using fine jpeg mode.

If you've got a London Camera Exchange open, if you push them, they might match W/house price. Lincoln did for my Swaro scope

Dave

Thanks Paul - I look forward to seeing them.

Dave, all we've got up here is the likes of Jessops, Jacobs and Dixons - nothing like LCE, I'm afraid...

I have had them both returned from your email host it says that the file size is too large for your email account to accept,...look at some on my photo gallery (birds)use the link below, they are not full resolution but all of the bird shots were taken with the 300G lense,..and if you can enlarge your email file acceptance, I can send you some more.

The 18-70 is a fine lens and a good choice. Over here - the most popular inexpensive tele lens is the Sigma 70-300 APO II (specifically the II version - the old I version was no good), which has an excellent price/performance ratio.
The Nikkor 70-200 AFS VR is far better, but costs 6 times as much as the Sigma.

Hi Paul,

I'll visit your website, because I can't get my email size limit increased - but many thanks for the help.

How big were the images? Maybe one at a time would work?

Yossi,

thanks for the Sigma advice - following your recommendation I did some more looking around and sure enough, compared with the similar offerings by Nikon and Tamron it's the best of the bunch.

Very tolerable price too.

Of course, if I went for the new D50 instead of the D70, I'd have more to spend on lenses..!

;)

Thanks again for the help everyone - you've been stars.

Nikon D70

Hi blythkeith,
A couple of points that may be of interest to you.
Firstly, Jessops will generally match ANY other prices including WHEx.
Secondly, if you have a problem, dealing with a local shop is MUCH easier.
A friend has a D70 and he is very pleased with it.
I have a Canon 20D (which has a problem so is at Canon as I write!!) that has been pretty good, and I find the 70-300 zoom to be very light and quick to use. I also have a Sigma 170-500 zoom which is OK, BUT, heavy and difficult to use in anything other than brightsunshine.
I normally use RAW as do other photographers as the results are normally better.

Hope you get sorted.

Cheers,

madmike

Thanks Mike,

I do like the idea of dealing with as local shop, but the staff at the Jessops in Newcastle really don't deserve the business...

I was in there for 10 minutes on Friday, outnumbered 3 to 1 by staff (I was the only customer at one one point), and looking at the dSLR displays - ample clue for most people that I might be interested in spending a lump of cash - yet in that time they were more interested in staying behind the counter and regaling each other with tales of what they would be getting up to at the weekend.

While I don't want to be pounced on the second I walk through a shop door, I think 10 minutes of trying to catch a shop-assistant's eye - and being totally ignored for my troubles - is enough.

I'd rather buy from Jacob's across the road: they might cost more, but they're a good bunch and actually do their job properly.

Well,

just an update to say that the Dirty Deed is done and tomorrow, Acts of God notwithstanding, I'll be taking delivery of a D70 and a Sigma 70-300 II APO lens (God bless those wonderful folk in Warehouse Express!)

I hope it's a really early delivery - sunshine forecast for tomorrow!

;)

I got the cheaper kit, and although i was pleased with it, i'd go for the dearer one. I have a Nikon 70-300 G zoom (cost me £110), and thought it was pretty good, until i upgraded to the Tamron 200-500mm. (If you want a cheap 70-300mm, email me with an offer - i'd take £50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back